Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vz has an unhealthy start (video link)

Mulla

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ V6 Ute
So I've recently begun to notice my 04 vz v6 ute has had a few terrible starts over the past week or two. I've tested battery and alternator for faulty function, but both are in tip top condition. Im leaning towards starter motor now but before I fork out the $290 to buy a new one I just wanted to check with you guys as I'm new to diagnosing commodore problems. The video link is http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AXaJMfT5EHs
Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
You've got a check engine warning and oil pressure warning showing on start up too?

Mulla

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ V6 Ute
Yeah ones the service reminder which I have yet to learn how to turn off and the other is the oil pressure switch which is soon to arrive and be replaced :)

Group C

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
First of all how did you check your battery ??? Did you perform a load test on it, If not I would be getting that done, if that clears ok would be looking at the earth side of things, but more than likely a starter fault sounds to be needing to much current on initial crank

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Well it sure sounds sluggish and you say your battery checks out ok....
Are the terminals on the starter clean and tight and the ones on the battery as well?

And it might be worth taking your engine drive belt off and spinning the pulleys on the aircon, power steering and alternator to make sure one of those isn't starting to seize up before you pull the starter out.

Last edited:

Marty_59

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE V6 Commodore Omega ute
Hi Mulla,
I'm with group C on this one, check all your earth connections and not just by looking at them, give them a shake possibly undo them and look for looseness or corrosion. Likewise the other suggestion of checking for a tight pulley, this would also show itself by maybe additional squealing or worn belt noises. Could be a bad connection to the starter as also mentioned below. Don't want to go down the tranny route that is a bit extreme.

Mulla

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ V6 Ute
I just chucked a multimeter on the battery terminals during idle to make sure the alternator was charging the battery, stable around 13.8V (lil bit on the lower end of what i was hoping) then checked the battery again after an hour being switched off and it held a charge of 12.75V. I will be checking again in the morning just to make sure. I shall have a go at checking the pulleys some arvo this week and get back to you savVYute cheers.

Mulla

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ V6 Ute
Hi Mulla,
I'm with group C on this one, check all your earth connections and not just by looking at them, give them a shake possibly undo them and look for looseness or corrosion. Likewise the other suggestion of checking for a tight pulley, this would also show itself by maybe additional squealing or worn belt noises. Could be a bad connection to the starter as also mentioned below. Don't want to go down the tranny route that is a bit extreme.

Cheers Marty I shall deffinantly have a good going over the earths and other terminations

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
I just chucked a multimeter on the battery terminals during idle to make sure the alternator was charging the battery, stable around 13.8V (lil bit on the lower end of what i was hoping) then checked the battery again after an hour being switched off and it held a charge of 12.75V. I will be checking again in the morning just to make sure. I shall have a go at checking the pulleys some arvo this week and get back to you savVYute cheers.

just checking battery voltage doesnt tell you if the battery is faulty, you could check what it is when cranking the engine as it should stay around 10 volts.

best option would be to get an auto sparky to test it, if they are good they probably wont charge you.