Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Advice needed-tow bar problem

Kirsti

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz commodore sv6
So I don't know anything about cars, and my gf who is a Holden nut wasn't there, and I've gone to a tow bar specific business to get a tow bar/ball combo on the vz so my family can take stuff to the tip.
My gf picks up the car, and not only have they not installed the square bar thing where the setup is clearly meant to go, (they have bolted a generic flat tongue one from underneath and taken the wiring from the break lights) but my gf says the car is a sports car and not meant for towing, and that if you add a tow bar you have to do something or other with the computer to let the car and the ABS know it's been modified so it can tow otherwise u will burn out the computer. He did not do this either.
What can or should I do? I mean the tow bar guy should know this stuff right? I asked how much, he told me a price, I pay it and now I can't use it!

B-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Calais S2
looks like they put a 1200kg one on.
it doesnt have to be a square one. also they cost more. so does the plug and play wiring loom

you wanted a tow bar and you got a tow bar... whats your problem?

Senator829

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 HSV Senator & 2012 RG Colorado LTZ
You got what you asked for and I don't think you GF knows much about cars either by the sound of it. A SV6 Is a family car of course it can tow and your computer isn't going to burn out

Last edited:

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
maybe she meant an electric trailer brake controller

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
if you have reversing sensors, they'll react to your trailer every time that you engage reverse gear.
The you-beaut wiring package disengages the proximity alarm when you're towing.

As B-Man points out, there are several styles of towbar; and there are different load ratings.
There more you get, the more you pay - of course !
You were probably asked what sort of loads you intended to tow: if you said "so my family can take stuff to the tip", then they probably gave you their lightest and least expensive package.

As nice as an SV6 is, I'm with Senator829 - I don't think that an SV6 is a particularly "sporty" car - four doors; large boot; etc - it's a family car.

loopie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
So I don't know anything about cars, and my gf who is a Holden nut wasn't there, and I've gone to a tow bar specific business to get a tow bar/ball combo on the vz so my family can take stuff to the tip.
My gf picks up the car, and not only have they not installed the square bar thing where the setup is clearly meant to go, (they have bolted a generic flat tongue one from underneath and taken the wiring from the break lights) but my gf says the car is a sports car and not meant for towing, and that if you add a tow bar you have to do something or other with the computer to let the car and the ABS know it's been modified so it can tow otherwise u will burn out the computer. He did not do this either.
What can or should I do? I mean the tow bar guy should know this stuff right? I asked how much, he told me a price, I pay it and now I can't use it!

what have you done, the sv6 is a sports car its going too blow up towing a 3x4 trailer, its going too catch fire because the trailer plug is wired wrong . and because you didn't buy the genuine holden bar your chassis is going too twist, then your back doors wont close properly. and yes now ABS wont work properly because you have the extra 2 wheels when towing so its now got six wheels, so its just going too lock all six wheels on so you cant move the car.. Also your current car liecence only allows you too drive a car with 4 wheels you now need a truck liecence now... JUST ask your girlfriend/or her mum as women know more than you

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
Remembering that the SV6 is based on the Executive base model... Sports car nahhhhh

you got the cheap nasty tow bar. sounds like u wanted the 1600KG hitch receiver.

This is what happens when you don't do your research first and don't communicate your wishes to the shop.
To be honest I don't know why they offer a 1200 and a 1600. They should just fit the 2100KG to all punters cars as a vast majority of people who tow once in a while have no understanding of the load rating. Seen idiots towing a 4 wheel drive on a car trailer with the good old 1200KG tow bar.

Kirsti

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz commodore sv6
what have you done, the sv6 is a sports car its going too blow up towing a 3x4 trailer, its going too catch fire because the trailer plug is wired wrong . and because you didn't buy the genuine holden bar your chassis is going too twist, then your back doors wont close properly. and yes now ABS wont work properly because you have the extra 2 wheels when towing so its now got six wheels, so its just going too lock all six wheels on so you cant move the car.. Also your current car liecence only allows you too drive a car with 4 wheels you now need a truck liecence now... JUST ask your girlfriend/or her mum as women know more than you

Thanks loopie, at least you weren't here just to ridicule me.
To the others... Yes I don't know anything about it, which is why I went to a SPECIFIC TOW BAR ONLY PLACE! What he should have done, was tell me the options I had, and give me advice, seeing as clearly he was the one who knew. I didn't research it because I trusted this guy would know. I mean if I had to research it all first so I knew everything about it, I might as well have installed it my friggin self. Can't believe it hey, I thought teenagers or straight chicks were the ones who troll the net just to put people down. And loopie, I too am a female, so the guys in this thread just serve to concrete my life choice! F'n arrogance mate... And they wonder why chicks turn lesbian haha it's not cos they need a good root, cos ya dick is useless if I can't stand ya long enough to get near it!
Btw- troll away, I'm not going to bother reading any more replies

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
God damned self righteous lesbians. Was has that got to do with your damn towbar?

loopie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
yes i was and I enjoyed every minute off it , towbar / strap on are both excellent recieviers tasmaiak, and I thought thai lady boys were stuffed in the head. GOD created man and woman so we can populate the world. NOT m/m f/f .. to those people your missing a few brain cells.