Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Sedan knocking noise

jwaye2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ, LN167 Turbo Hilux, VSII Ute
Hi guys. I know there is a million threads similar to this already but didn't find my answer and the situation wasn't quite the same.

Anyway a couple of weeks ago I was driving home and started to get a knocking/clunking noise in the rear left. Pulled over to have a look and couldn't see anything obvious so drove home (still clunking) and put it up on ramps to have a better look. Couldn't see anything out of place of loose. Took the wheel off and spin the hubs so see if I could pinpoint the noise but it wasn't doing it any more. Put it back together and went for a drive and didn't do it again. So I figured just something stuck in there and has come out. 3 weeks later it randomly starts doing it again :(

What makes mine different is that it only does it at low speeds (under 60ks), Its worse when turning corners and the noise is consistent with the speed of the wheels spinning (clunks slowly when going slow and fast when I speed up). The entire running gear is only 56,000ks old except for the diff and shafts which are around 200,000ks old. I have an LSD diff to go in and will be getting new shafts when I can afford to do it but that wont be for a while.

Its not loose shocks or perished rubbers as I have already has them checked and that wouldn't be consistent with he speed of the car. My suspicion is the left shaft or diff itself. But want to see if anyone else has any other opinions.

jwaye2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Noone has any ideas?

jwaye2

Reaction score
Members Ride
That woulnt be consistant with the wheel speed though would it? Its not random knocking its like each spin of the wheel. Even does is on perfectly smooth roads

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Could be CV joint on it's way out. Is the car lowered?

jwaye2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nah its standard hight. Thats what im thinking but I havent had much experience with CV's/drive shafts before so not sure. Doesnt do it when its up in the air only when im actually applying the accelerator and stops when I take foot off :/

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Check the centre bearing bush then, it may sound like it's transferring to the rear.

D

Don123

Maybe it's as simple as something stuck on the tyre like a little rock.

jwaye2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Check the centre bearing bush then, it may sound like it's transferring to the rear.

Hmm that could be possible. Hard to tell from drivers seat as it only happends when driving.

Maybe it's as simple as something stuck on the tyre like a little rock.

That was my first thought but ive checked the for rocks/screws a few times and havent found any.

Transfer case maybe

Doesnt have transfer case as its a sedan. Only the AWD models (Adventra and some Crewman) had the transfer