Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Adventra Fault Code Problems

gilign

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra Jacked up 2 inch plus on 225/60/17
I know its an adventra and not commodore. I hope nobody is offended.
Here goes!

After a few months of trying to work out the problems with it, my addy is in the shop for for a scheduled auto service.(after a few weeks in lay up trying to sort it)

I have a few questions for the 5L40E Automatic Transmission tech guys and girls out there!
1....What is the type of fluid these are sold with in VZ Adventra with the first service due at 150000klm. (sealed unit, no dipstick)
2....If I get codes ( I have a scan gauge) "lost communication to the drive train" and also get stupid codes like "fuel gauge fault see service dealer" "power train fault see service dealer"
these were here and there, not all the time.

Then after a while (few weeks trying to work out what these codes mean) using the scan gauge to scan and reset. It wont start sometimes, and then it will.

But after a few more weeks it not wont start, unless I short the starter relay. Would this point to ECU,especially if after the auto service done and Holden clear codes and it still comes back doing the same.

3....Has anybody changed the transfer case oil. I have some but haven't tried yet. ( see question 4)
4....Does anybody have the service manual. its on dvd and the only one i have found is the part number VZ102006, which is no longer available and it is a full dvd of all vz range. not just the addy. leaving me with no way of finding out the method and torque specs for bolts ect, how to replace inner control arm bushes( they are pressed in to the sub frame) what are the limits for backlash on drive shafts and transfer( I am mechanically minded but not a trusting sort to just try winging it along the way)I would like a few pages of that dvd if they can be printed. As there no longer available and holden wont release them for after market production. I see no problems for sharing this between friends and a little compensation for the trouble providing the postal service.

Over all It drives good goes through the gears until the codes come up. Then sometimes it chucks it in gears going down but not others times
The codes come back but not all the same. Every time I get new codes, they usually change.
I have looked into all codes on the net. cant recall all them now. and cars in shop with scan gauge. everything points to the ecu from what me and my brother can work out.
I have tried a hard reset by disconnecting battery overnight with hazards with an attempt to draw any held power in the ecu.

But u know holden they want 4 hr min diagnosing @ $121 hr.
The good news is the ECU is only $350 buks. plus there $$ for linking it to the PIM and BCM.

Any thoughts and experience welcome with this problem.
Thanks in advance.

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
fair few codes, you might have to let holden do their stuff, and hopefully they diagnose it early and fix it in the 4hrs min, ask them if they would.

As for the 'Ride- VZ Adventra Jacked up 2 inch plus on 225/60/17' - sounds nice would like to see a pic of it.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Random error codes in the VZ points to the ECU. My brothers ute did the same thing with the ABS and a few other errors. Replaced the ECU (even tho Holden techs could not guarantee success and reluctant to do the job)

It stopped the random ABS faults at different wheels. I began to sus something when the new sensor failed after only 2 weeks on the same wheel, then on the trest drive after clearing another wheel sensor failed. It's like ooooow come on.....

Then taking to a mechaninc he said if your chasing random faults on a VZ, change the ECU.

gilign

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra Jacked up 2 inch plus on 225/60/17
just put a pick of addy on my profile. the rear air bags are down.