Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bleeding clutch on Aisin box

Treecycle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Commodore
I just replaced the Aisin 6 speed box on my son's VZ ute today with a new one. When it came to bleeding the clutch, we had all sorts of trouble getting rid of the air. As the slave cylinder is inside the bell housing, it isn't possible to see if the thrust bearing is moving as required. The other thing is the bleeder is almost on the bottom the slave which goes against convention. We finally got there, but I was wondering if there is a special way to bleed these systems.
The other thing is the clutch starts to engage fairly close to the floor and I was wondering if this is normal, or could the master cylinder be on the way out. It was the same with the old gearbox, and has been like that since he brought the car a few months ago.
Any advice appreciated.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
Fit a remote bleeder next time you have the box out. They're brilliant.

Treecycle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Commodore
Could you elaborate on this please. It isn't something I am familiar with.
Thanks.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
Aftermarket kit - Remote clutch slave bleeder.
It is an extention for the original bleeder that sticks out of the bell housing so you can bleed without getting brake fluid all over the clutch and flywheel. Pretty sure it's a box out job to fit one.

Treecycle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Commodore
Maybe this is where we were going wrong. I bled the clutch at the bleeder that protrudes out the side of the bell housing (no where near the clutch or flywheel). Is there somewhere inside where it can be bled on the black plastic housing that takes the fluid in behind the thrust bearing?