Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do you need to change your fuel filter?

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
Hi all,
This is informational, especially if you are debating changing your fuel filter. Or if you are like me, I exceeded the 3 year change period by a few months. I changed my fuel filter (GM made in UK) and these are my results. The car did 25431 kms and the filter was approx 3 years 8 months old. My fuel during this period has only been unleaded, and has primarily been 90% from Woolworths/Caltex in the Brisbane SEQ area, then BP, Matilda, and Shell. I have bought fuel between Grafton and Townsville along the coastal highways. I have never noticed any performance differences between tank fills from different retailers.

I inverted the filter, shook out fuel from the input side and got many small black deposits which were loose in the filter body. I cut the filter open and took theses images. Any shiny particles are the metal shavings from the hacksaw blade.

The input side of the filter media was thick with a tarry, black sticky substance. Scratching one "panel" of the filter paper gave about 1/3 of a match head of black scum. This dried to being a fine brown coloured powder on the filter paper. I think the wet performance is what matters. The engine side of the filter was discoloured but not black like the input side of the paper, so I guess the filter paper was working, stopping the gunk, but allowing a reduced fuel flow rate. Some of JC correspondents say to replace the filter about every year. After seeing the results I am inclined to agree. In passing, the car seems to be a bit more lively under acceleration. Will see what the economy turns up.

Tarry sticky sludge.jpgfuel filter scum.jpg

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
That black **** most likely only came from the Caltex. My local had my filter gummed up with black particles in 3 months. Could barely blow through it, but no noticeable impact on driveability. Since then I've gone solely BP98 (now 6 months) it's remained pretty tidy.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
That black **** most likely only came from the Caltex. My local had my filter gummed up with black particles in 3 months. Could barely blow through it, but no noticeable impact on driveability. Since then I've gone solely BP98 (now 6 months) it's remained pretty tidy.

Probably more likely your local servo have crap in their underground tanks than the actual type of petrol.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Maybe, but according to another couple of threads I'm not the only one. It was advice from numerous reputable members on JC that got me off the Caltex and on to BP, best advice ever, the FI loves it most. My ex (who drives my VP) had a filter in a similar state using a different Caltex (Barton hwy). My local also had an overhaul mid last year, new tanks went in and more bowsers.

I'd like to believe it was a local issue, but there's plenty of evidence/advice to suggest it isn't. Plus I use about 6 different BP servos now (Jamison, Civic, Kingston, Fyshwick, Queanbeyan and Phillip) and the filter has remained clean.

pbax

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
I've also heard of Caltex making peoples cars run badly, but surely if any companies fuel is that bad half of the people would be broken down on the side of the road every day from bad fuel?

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
To be fair it's not like I (or anyone I know) ever broke down, or had a car run like **** enough to worry about. The fuel did it's job and following the service schedule to the letter means the filter would never clog up enough to bother the flow. It's just my opinion based on limited experience that says there are fuels that do a much better job. N/A I could never tell a difference. FI on a knife edge tends to let you know quickly when the food isn't nutritious.

MiKExAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4 Series II
every year change the fuel filter??? f### off thats a joke