Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

adventra sx6 faults

DaveNZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Ute,3.8,T5
hoping to hear from anyone with/had the same issues.
sometimes the car wont start, the solenoid doesn't even engage. once started once i can turn it back off & it'll fire up many times on the key.
I wired a switch to the dash to bridge the starter relay on demand when it happens so I don't have to get under the hood each time.
when I turn on the key it does a system check & beeps then 'check powertrain' comes on the dash followed by 'ESP failed'.
the esp on/off button has no effect at that point(I push it, but no corresponding on/off reading on dash)
it will drive fine except when slowing to a stop it will downshift with a hard clunk 4-3,3-2,2-1 no problems on kickdown under power or going up the gears.
if I see the 'esp failed' on startup I turn car off, remove key/reinsert/restart & repeat until esp failed msg clears, then I test by pushing the esp button to see it turn off & on. then there is no trans problem whatsoever, it is smooth for the entireity of that trip. then the next trip I sometimes have to repeat the process again.
I am thinking that it's working something like this...
when the key goes in & ignition turned on, the car does some sort of initialisation routine. I suspect that something doesn't initialise at that point & from then on the trans will play up. but if I keep re-trying the initialisation sequence it eventually gets a good reading & the trans works fine.
this is a consistent pattern.
this leads me to believe there is some kind of electrical relay/communications fault which involves the trans.
I am thinking maybe the ecu is not talking to tcm(transmission control module) correctly hence why it is shifting weird?
I had it read with a non tech2 it indicated the very generic exhaust cam position sensor error on bank2 code P0391.
this was before i'd established the pattern.
It also showed code P0700-00 malfunction indicator request from transmission module(tcm)
the guy I had look at it was stumped, but suggested the key barrel may be a problem.
i'm going to swap cam position sensors & get it re-read to see if the code follows the 'bad sensor' or stays with exhaust on bank 2.

any ideas appreciated guys, i'm not making much progress.

jonesyGT

Reaction score
Just to let you know. O was getting all weird stuff like that. Tiik it to a dealer. Told me it was to do with the coil packs. Cost a bomb. Didn't fix it. Told me it had a broken rocker. Cost a bomb. Didn't fix it. Told me it was the ECU. Cost a bomb but finally fixed it. They charged me 120 just to fault read. But back on topic. Check your ecu.

XioiX1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 V8 Adventra
+ 1 for ecu. Also check connection of ring and metal contact in key.

DaveNZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Ute,3.8,T5
thanks for the replies guys, it could well be the ecu. & I will look closely again at the keyring contact as I'm starting it. I have just bought a cheap scanner(elm327 1.5a) which is on it's way, to try to do some testing myself. I had a heap of errors after I put the car back on the road & took it to the dealer who said it was the ecu(he didn't scan it) but since then the guy who I got to scan it cleared the codes & most never came back except for the above issues. the ecu's are expensive & the dealers have a habit of throwing parts at a problem till they get lucky. I don't want to cough up $1200 for one & find the problem reappears. I found a new ecu on gumtree in Brisbane but the guy is not returning my emails asking to buy it if he'll send it. I bought a brand new transmission control module ($20 surplus stock clearout) but need to do more research on that before attempting replacement. i'll report back once I get my hands on the scanner & hopefully I can zero in on the issue more closely.(I've checked the obvious things/cleaned connections etc)
peace all & a good game of footy last night, even though the kiwis lost ..doh!

Bradley87

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden adventra
Hey mate I have a adventra with a 10h7c in it as well and I also live in Auckland any way the engine went bang and I need to replace it now I also can not find a replacement engine what I was hoping you could tell me is what engine you fitted and also how did you get on any tricks or help would be great cheers Bradley

oilbyshug

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh/sle hz prem vr berlina vz Calais 190
Dave how did you go with this was it the TCM or ecu