Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Crewman (3.6 V6) - Load Rated wheels, tyres, or both???

Black_Bug

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8
Hey everyone,

Due to a growing family, and the need for a ute we will be purchasing a VZ crewman in the coming days (I have one organized).

I have researched the hell out of them and think I pretty well know what to look out for, and what you can/cannot do to them. One thing I can't really find an answer for though is to do with the wheels. The one we are looking at is as stock as a rock, it's not an S pack either so it's currently on steel wheels and is quite high.

Can someone tell me, when i change out the rims can I fit any pre VE commodore rim (i.e. vy or vz ss rims) with a load rated tyre, or do the rims themselves need to be load rated as well as the tyre?

Thanks in advance.

sidecar55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Series 1 9.5 Sportwagon/VE SS Series 2 Ute
Here in VIC the rims would need the same load capacity as alloys supplied on a Crewman & tyres would need to be the same load rating.

Black_Bug

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8
Sorry I'm not 100% up with it when it comes to tyres but what your saying is that any wheels that go on a crewman would have to meet the stock load rating? So I'm guessing any 2nd hand commodore wheels wouldn't be legal?

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
Wheel loads are usually derived from axle load ratings or tire load ratings (if the axle ratings are not available) and are used in durability test load calculations. The end goal being that the axle or tire fails before the wheel, if overloaded.

if the above is true, then you'd be o.k. to just go with the tyre load rating and this is all the RTA asks , oem or grater.

I've fitted 100 load rated tyre to my oem XUV wheels , didn't really question their load rating,
but when I bought a set of BMW X5 rims I did notice they had a load rating stamped on them , 1000kg.

Had a look on the XUV and there was nothing to indicate a load rating , unless some of the letters are code.

I'd say you're good , unless someone has more info, but if you're in doubt chase up a set of crewie rims,
there's 17 inch crewie rims for a hundred bucks a pop on ebay.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Here is some more to confuse you.
My Cross6 is fitted with OEM alloy 17's, the tyre placard shows 17's, but the spare is a 16" steelie, all as from the factory.
I've had a look inside my alloys and can't see anything about load rating, but there are a lot of numbers etc that I can't interpret. Maybe they have a code for the load rating ?
Pricewise, I got a set of 4 OEM matching alloys for $140, but that was Sydney area.
While on the subject of wheels/tyres, I use a set of VY Calais 17"s on my CV8 with tyres a higher rating than on the placard which states 18"s as standard. CV6s came with 17"s, and Pontiac GTOs with 17"s. Am I strictly legal ? Probably not, but in 11 years nobody has noticed during the rego inspection, and Shannons insurance don't object.
My recommendation would be to fit any genuine Holden rims that were standard on any of the various Crewmans.

Last edited:

Black_Bug

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8
Thanks for your help guys

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Simply put, yes the crewman needs a higher load rating then other Commodores.

Due to its 1 tonne capacity. Any Holden mag wheels will probably be illegal.

Factory it'll have 16x7s with a 500kg a wheel load rating and high rated tyres which is a number on the tyre like (example only) 102Y.

Mate had a crewman and got aftermarket wheel with insurence after is was stolen. Insurence woul not put any Holden mags on because only the crewman and tray top wheels (that I know of) have the higher rating. Example; A crewman on VE SS rims is illegal.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Mate had a crewman and got aftermarket wheel with insurence after is was stolen. Insurence woul not put any Holden mags on because only the crewman and tray top wheels (that I know of) have the higher rating. Example; A crewman on VE SS rims is illegal.[/QUOTE]

Aftermarket and VE SS wheels I would agree with, but my Cross6 comes with the same wheels as an Adventra and Cross8, and the upmarket Crewman S, SS, Storm came with the same wheels as the Commodore S or SS.
Not saying you're wrong, but how do you tell what the load rating is on the wheels. I've tried to get details of the cross-trac system and tyre sizing etc from Dealers and Holden Customer Service....waste of time, they just don't know.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
my Cross6 comes with the same wheels as an Adventra and Cross8, and the upmarket Crewman S, SS

Holden Customer Service....waste of time, they just don't know.

^^^ all one tonne Vechials but I can't comment on the storm wheels. notice how the SS came with 17s like the ute but the sedan was factory on 18s?? Cos 18s ain't load rated high enough.

Holden's service departments (useless spending <50k) are f**king useless. I can't spans them and there a complete waste of time. There should be marking on the inside of the wheel on the back of one of the spokes.

Most passenger cars are around 750kgs including all passengers. So the wheels are around 450kgs However you need 500kg wheels for one tonners. 500kg on each rear axle equals a 1000kg load on the rear.

I have looked inside aftermarket wheels on a mates Rodeo and they were under the 500kg's need per axle to be legal.

Chances of getting caught out with a crewman are buckles to none so I wouldn't stress on it.

There's also a chance that the crewman isn't a one tonne car and I'm wrong. I just know insurance bought my mate some ugly wheels cos they were load rated and all he wanted was some second hand SS 17s

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
how do you tell what the load rating is on the wheels?

My aftermarket wheels, for the VE but still

A989ECEF-E287-4055-842B-315A01F1FFA2-140-000000038AE5C5F1_zpse4d8e309.jpg

690kgs so way higher then I thought

FD63B752-8E36-4A3D-9713-2B375F862B96-140-00000003934DE0B3_zps7341065d.jpg