Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

TCM (Transmission Control Module) information requested.

rayuki

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive 2005
so my car is displaying this error since Saturday, looking like going to have to replace the module.

mechanic it was at said he can't replace it as it needs to be programmed by Holden, but they are quoting $900... seems a bit excessive. also need to get the damn car to them as with this error it pops up with "Check PowerTrain" and "Service Vehicle Soon" and fails to accelerate. (drives fine though until this error pops up and only stops accelerating after you stop the car, if you keep driving thru it car performs fine, does not go into limp home mode or anything)

When my mechanic connected his tech 2 error returned was:

"Invalid signal from TCM (Transmission Control Module) No Communication from TCM."

don't suppose there is any other option for me here? my mech friend said it could just be wiring issue and may not need an entire replacement and he is looking into options. finding it really difficult to get any info on this however from Google or other mechanics i know.

don't really fancy throwing down $1k + for this stupid thing at Holden when its just a $2 chip ... GRRR

any info would be greatly appreciated. is this possible to do without Holden for example? lol

only thing i could find is this document from snapontools that mentions it but not really sure what to make of it

http://www.snapontools.com.au/__dat...PIM_and_ECM_-_Reset_and_Link_Instructions.pdf

rayuki

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive 2005
nope? well figured out there is a performance tuning mob near me that can do it and can just use a second hand chip to save money. however it stopped doing it after having my mechanic friend clear the code and he topped up the transmission fluid and put some water in the battery as it was looking a bit sad and its stopped doing it for now. a few days without the check powertrain error so fingers crossed it was just a problem with the TCM receiving enough voltage from the battery.

but figured i'd post my progress incase anyone else has the same issue to give that a try first before shelling out for the TCM.

A9L

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1
Ive never seen this before. I know that failing batteries can cause all sorts of bugs/issues tho..

rayuki

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive 2005
yeah really odd. I've just replaced the battery to be safe. so now if it happens again i know the TCM is actually buggered and not just playing up due to lack of voltage. car is running fine for the past week driven about 500km.

Tro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive - VF SS
I have just started to have this problem this afternoon, so I am very interested in what others think
only difference with mine is when the error comes up, the speedo stops working...

on the way home, it started working and back to full power ...
did some research, disconnected the battery for 30min .. made sure the terminals are tight .. (battery 6months old)

started up .. looks fine .. started a second time .. error pops up!

I am close to getting my VS on the road, so I really don't want to spend money unless I have too ... I would rather change the module myself .. or the wiring...

ill wait to see what the general consensus is

Tro

Tro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive - VF SS
Anyone know if the TCM are just plug and play?
might just try one while at the wreckers...
Is there anything else to look at, i.e. wiring loom feeding the TCM?

Tro

spider181

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Clubsport R8
Hi Rayuki - sorry been a while - my VZ R8 is doing this too and Holdens say is TCM not communicating - did U replace yours eventually and did it fix it ? Cheers Ian/Adelaide

melv

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz 06 exec
hi. i had to join up this thread after being rorted with TCM error..

quick lowdown. Bought a Vz 06 cheap, carried out some pDr work to get it straight, runs fine however, when thrashed or stop start traffic (hot), check powertrain comes on. Reset runs fine for another 500 kms..

Had it analysed for $65! its the TCM module. So i will post what i discover to fix it.

1. TCM module i believe is located passenger kick panel (see page 2) http://journal.mtansw.com.au/08/oct/boyce/pdfs/VZCommodoreDCL.pdf
2. will check if crappy trans fluid (heat)
3. Battery does look suss (thanks to this thread guys) you never know

wish me luck

Jazzyjeff

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ Commodore Executive
Anyone know if the TCM are just plug and play?
might just try one while at the wreckers...
Is there anything else to look at, i.e. wiring loom feeding the TCM?

Tro
Hi Tro, i know it’s an old post but I’ve got a bit of information about this so hopefully it helps someone.
I had the same issue. 05 VZ Commodore Executive Sedan (Standard). Lost speedo, was in limp home mode and only park could be selected in the instrument cluster.
Had fault codes,
- P0700 Transmission control malfunction
- U0101 CAN data bus Transmission control unit malfunction
- P0864 Automatic Transmission malfunction
I determined the TCM was faulty (Left hand kick panel) as the wiring and connector looked okay.
I tried a second hand one from a wreckers. Plug & play and cleared the codes. I now had a working speedo, had gears and wasn’t in limp home mode. But I was still getting harsh gear changes and error code
- P0700 Transmission Control Malfunction.
I then tried another TCM from the wreckers but this time I found one that had matching letters with my original TCM as per the attached pic (The circled letters)
Once again, plug & play, cleared codes and everything tested okay. Problem fixed.
So in summary find a replacement TCM with the four letters matching your original TCM and it should fix the problem
image0.jpeg

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.