Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering has play, does not return center and knock or thud from wheel on left turns

aszaheer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
Sorry for the crappy title, I'll try to explain it a bit better here. :) Whenever I turn left starting from a complete stop or really low speed, I get a thud from the left wheel if I accelerate moderately. I'm not sure if it is the wheel but that is where it feels like. I just got new tie rods on both tires and there is no play now in either direction. However, the sound is still there. I have to accelerate really slow on roundabouts and u-turns due to this coz it sounds like something might break.

I have play in my steering wheel too and it does not return to the center after turns. Lets say it only returns to the 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock positions depending on the direction of the turn. And I would say the wheel feels quite loose between those positions too. I read something in previous posts that it has something to do with front strut mounts and steering bushes. I had the mounts and bearings replaced a little while but it hasn't helped with the issue. I'd like to know which bushes might help. Is it all the front suspension bushes in general or are there any particular ones related to the steering wheel issue?

sidecar55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Series 1 9.5 Sportwagon/VE SS Series 2 Ute
Watch out for the steering column bearings, we replaced one last week.

XioiX1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 V8 Adventra
Castor settings are responsible for returning the wheels to centre. I would replace the bushes etc. The knock or grind from left whe could also be a wheel bearing.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Sounds like your radius rod/z-bar bushes, these are responsible for castor and keeping the lower control arm in place (which would explain your thud).

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
Take your car in for one of those free safety inspections and then replace the parts they say are stuffed yourself. Don't forget to get a 4wheel alignment to finish the job :)

Darcon666

Evil is always around you
Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
Hey aszaheer

Good explanation but there are too many things that could be wrong... from a simple missing nut on the castor bush(seen this myself) --> cracked/broken/bent/about to snap something.

As Big-Al said... take it to the professionals and at least get a detailed report... you can then make a choice to fix it yourself if you are handy with the tools OR leave it to the pro's and pay $$$($).

Good luck

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
I had a non power assisted rack and pinion steering box outer support bearing collapse. The steering made all sorts of odd noises as the left front wheel was changing toe in/out and the shaft was hitting the steering rack tube. I would think that could happen to a power assisted steering assembly, but would it be accompanied by loss of power steering fluid in the reservoir. Is that a possibility?

aszaheer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
Thanks for the info guys! My radius rod bushes don't have any missing nuts but they do have a cracks in the rubber. I will get it checked before getting the work done but just wanted a better picture of what it needs. Looks like I'll be replacing most or pretty much all of the bushes soon. Does anyone have any experience with the cheap aftermarket ones? Not the branded stuff coz the cost really piles up once you start replacing parts.

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
when you say cracks in the rubber you sure its not the ribs in the rubber , like big L said go and get it checked out at Pedder's or someone first too many possible without seeing it.

aszaheer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
So i guess I found what might be causing the thud. The ball joint looks really screwed. Also here are pics of the radius rod bushes. Do you think replacing them will help with the steering wheel issue?

Attachments

• driver side.jpg
    driver side.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 460
  • left ball.jpg
    left ball.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 655
  • passenger side.jpg
    passenger side.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 466