Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

car wont start

sickest

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
hi i need some advice or an explanation, basically when i went to start my car today the whole car started shaking/vibrating and wouldnt start properly, tried to start it a few more times but it didnt work, the engine will turn on for like a second then just fail and turn off again. I have 134ks on the odemeter and i bought it at around 127ks so even tho i do drive my car pretty hard (in my opinion) i doubt it could have thrashed it that bad in such a small amount of time? i dont do burnouts or anything but yeah a few days ago when my car was working, everytime i would turn it on a message would come up saying service at 135ks so im thinking that even tho my car was at 134ks it might have gotten mixed up or something and i was meant to service it when the message came up? im not too sure, also another thing, 2 days before my car started having problems i did go for a drive with my mate and i drove it pretty hard, probably flooring it atleast 2 times in the trip and also my mate started reving my car when i walked away for 30 seconds or so too take a leek lol so im not sure if that plays a factor in my car not starting today although i did drive my car the day after and it seemed fine so im not sure what the problem is. Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
The problem could be flooding if the car had been started immediately prior to your experience and turned off before the engine had reached operating temperature. (It is NOT an uncommon problem during cold wintry weather). The engine may have been flooded. Suggest that you disconnect the battery for 10 - 15 minutes (to cancel any computer settings) then connect (jump start fashion) another battery to yours and commence starting procedure. If it was flooded then it may take some time for the engine to fire. When it does it will cough and splutter and emit foul smelling fumes and possibly black smoke from the exhaust. Once the engine is running, allow it to idle to warm up or take for a short drive to help stabilise the computer settings etc.

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
what have you checked so far? LMGTFY
i almost didn't bother to reply after your last threads, you really haven't told us **** in your post though except that ur a hard #### who drives his car hard.

if you just got the car and don't know its service history, start with the basics but its impossible to diagnose for you, you need to actually check stuff and eliminate possible faults.

A9L

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1
Benboy, never heard of this explained as "flooding". I always thought flooding was a carby thing. Got a link that goes into more detail? Interested.

sickest

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
what have you checked so far? LMGTFY
i almost didn't bother to reply after your last threads, you really haven't told us **** in your post though except that ur a hard #### who drives his car hard.

if you just got the car and don't know its service history, start with the basics but its impossible to diagnose for you, you need to actually check stuff and eliminate possible faults.

im not a hard kent im a sick kent anyway i got my dad to fix my car, well atleast get it to start anyway....apparently my fuel was really low but i still dont get why my car was shaking so bad.

Last edited:

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
i don't know much, but if you aren't sure when they were last changed, it might be worth checking the plugs etc. they are only a few $ each to swap so maybe just change em while you're at it. when i got my car there was 2 brands in there and some of them were pretty ####ed so had obviously only been replaced 1 or 2 at a time. might help if it's not starting well or running rough. also try cleaning out your MAF/throttle body and checking your filters and fluids as a basic. top up or replace anything that needs it.

A9L

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1
So.... There was no fuel in it....

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Fuel pump.
Fuel pump relay.

Very rough and unstable start (faltering) to stop at idle can be the engine is being deprived of fuel.