Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ welch plugs

Merlot

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina Wagon
Hello everyone I have a bit of a look for this but can't really find an answer.

Last service the mechanic fitted a new water pump, I noticed that had a small coolant leak and the mechanic thought it was an o ring but after pressure testing he says its the welch plugs. He reckons $6000 to fix properly! Recommends a replacement engine and has located one at a wreckers which he would fit all up for $2.5-3000!!

Is he trying to rip me off? Would it really cost $6000 to replace welch plugs?

I appreciate your help.

luke23

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
What kind of engine is it? Im gonna assume its an ecotec, replacement engine would probs cost 400-800 for a decent running one, then theres labor, if he has to take it out of a donor car, then take your old engine out, then put the new one in then fill all the fluids up and get it running ect it would cost around the 3 grand mark

Deltak

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hi,

I think the mechanic is telling "porkies" as there only seems to be one expansion (welch) plug in the engine (alloytec), and that is in the valley. However it may require the engine to be removed to find the actual leak. this will cost money, unless you can do it yourself. Replacement is easy, once you get access.

You really need to see the leak for yourself before committing to such a cost. A leaking coolant hose is much easier to replace than pulling the engine (and disturbing all the outher connections) for a questionable second hand engine.

Just my opinion.

Merlot

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina Wagon
Thanks Luke. Its a alloytec engine, 05 model. Do you reckon $6000 to replace the welch plugs is right?

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
Thanks Luke. Its a alloytec engine, 05 model. Do you reckon $6000 to replace the welch plugs is right?

Not unless your last name is Packer!!!

It will most likely be the coolant pipe O rings leaking into the valley. Don't even bother with replacing those, just get the whole thing from Holdens, it comes with a new coolant cap and is two 10mm bolts to replace. Just bleed the system properly afterwards.

luke23

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
Yeah sorry just realised you have a vz not a vy, also I did a little search on the forum, Ive seen people say anywhere from 400-2000 mark for getting them done, so 6000 defiantly seems way over the top considering what 6 grand can buy (i.e another complete vz since theyre around that price mark these days)

Ive never changed them before, but Ive heard you basically tap them out and put some sealant around the rim and put the new plug in, even if the engine has to be removed for the job that price still seems crazy