Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to waterproof vz ute tub?

vzute06

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Ute
gday ya'll new to this forum!
and wondering the easiest and cheapest way to waterproof the tub with a aftermarket flatline hardtop?
ive looked at sail plane and the hsv sail plane? but cant really afford the hsv one, but is there any other ways out there people who have done it before cheers?

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
How much money do you want to spend ?
Do you want fibreglass, or fabric over aluminium mesh, or a roller shutter ?
Do you want it easily removable by one person, or need a second person to remove it ?
New ( Zanardi or Auburn canopies ) or second hand ( Ebay or Gumtree ) ?
These and other mysteries of life need to be investigated. I spent many happy, entertaining Googlehours searching, before a found a good second hand genuine Holden lid for $500.
Then a few more careful, entertaining, fun hours fitting, and sealing gaps around the tub, so now it is 99% water and dust proof under normal driving conditions.

vzute06

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Ute

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I thought you were after general advice on which way to go...............sorry..........if you are on about the little bits in the corner, I can't help because the Crewman lid is different.
But, if you haven't already sealed the tailgate area when the canopy was on, some high density foam blocks/strips (Clarke Rubber) compressed in on each side, not glued, right up to the top of the tailgate will stop nearly all dust and water being drawn back inside the tub .

vzute06

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Ute
yeah exactly, mates dad has crewman and theyre so much simplier.
so ive got rubber strips on the sides of the tub going up to the tailgate and to where the hole on the hardtop starts. is that what youre talking about? also i dont have Any rubber seals behind back window or on tailgate.