Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP! Wiring questions!

simmo595

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S ute
So i got a new Kenwood double din head unit for my VZ ute and went to wire it in by cutting the wires and soldering the new harness in, however the existing harness has more wires than listed by anyone else (and the colours are all wrong). I wired in the power and ground and went to turn it on, now the fuel gauge wont't work and says very low fuel and i also have the service reminder showing up? Any instructions on correctly wiring it up and how to remove/fix the cluster problem? thanks

pbax

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
I suggest reconnect the original harness then use an adapter. Seems that with the adapters most people have to switch the yellow and red wires eg. red wire from stereo connect to the yellow on harness adapter. (that method worked fine in my car)

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
So i got a new Kenwood double din head unit for my VZ ute and went to wire it in by cutting the wires and soldering the new harness in, however the existing harness has more wires than listed by anyone else (and the colours are all wrong). I wired in the power and ground and went to turn it on, now the fuel gauge wont't work and says very low fuel and i also have the service reminder showing up? Any instructions on correctly wiring it up and how to remove/fix the cluster problem? thanks

What wires do you have? Can you post a photo? In the factory harness there is a lot of extra wires that are no longer required...

simmo595

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S ute
I cut the old plug off, so am left with stripped wires, I have the current wires:

Yellow with black stripe
Yellow with red stripe
Black with yellow stripe
2xOrange with black stripe
Black with white stripe
Yellow
Dark Green with white stripe
2xblue with black stripe
Yellow with blue stripe
brown
Brown with black stripe
Brown with white stripe
Blue
Blue with orange stripe
Light green
Dark green
Tan
Grey

Which is which and how do I remove the error messages and get the fuel gauge to work again?!

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Simmo, did you cut through more than one wire at once? Those wires are correct and in the car audio section you will find a thread at the top named vk-vz stereo wiring colours. They all match up.

simmo595

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S ute
Yeah I did, I am thinking I shorted something out, however I cannot find a blown fuse (checked radio, instrument fuses?)

Why do I have 2 blue with black stripes when that is a rear right negative? and I do not have a orange/white wire? and why are their two grey wires listed and I only have one? It is as if Holden just chose different colours for fun?!

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
No mate, those extra ones were not needed. Your wiring is perfectly normal. Unfortunately, by cutting more than one wire you may have damaged something. Orange and white is now orange and black.

If I remember, one of the grey wires will be thinner than the other... you don't need the thinner one.

Insulate your bare wires, disconnect the battery or awhile and see if that helps the dash, but I do have a bad feeling about it.

simmo595

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S ute
Ok, so why are there 2 Orange and black then? And I only have one grey wire, not a thin and a thick?

What could I have fried, because isnt it all fused?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
One orange wire supplies the headunitwhile the other supplies the car kit connector.

The two blue and blacks... One will be from the phone connector and the other from the speaker. Accidentally hooking the speaker wire up to the wrong blue and black won't cause damage... The speaker just won't work, that's your indication.

The original headunit is wired into the GMLAN data system... It doesn't like having 12volts shot up its arse if that has happened. Try disconnecting the battery for awhile and see if that helps.

simmo595

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S ute
So i disconnected all the wires I had joined and taped them up to see if your theory was right, and it is! I now have a working fuel gauge and no reminder (Thank you!)

Am taking it to my mate who is a car sparky, I don't have the time, patience or skill! thanks anyway!