Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

TCM (Transmission Control Module) info

Tro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive - VF SS
started a new thread instead of hijacking rayuki's!

My VZ pops up with "Check PowerTrain" and "Service Vehicle Soon" and randomly goes into limp mode...
also service vehicle soon warning

Took it to get checked and got the fault codes, 1 was oil pressure sensor, other was lost comms to TCM
reset and on my way ..

So I changed the Oil pressure sensor, went well for 2 days then today it went bad again...

only this time "Check PowerTrain" and alarm warning restricted power etc...

I went to a Holden wreckers and had a chat, they wouldn't let me try a TCM, or buy and return if it doesn't work .. that's ok as long a they can assure me its not faulty ... but they have no idea if it works, they don't test them etc.

The number son the ones they had were different, can any one answer these questions ...

Can I simply swap them out ... (maybe power off battery for 10min etc) - read it somewhere...
Are they interchangeable...? guy suggested he normally supplies them with entire loom .. thinks it wouldn't work (different codes??)

Has anyone successfully changed there's over?

Tro

routier1642

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6
Not what you asked for, but this will help with lots of mystery problems:

I strongly advise anyone with a VZ to get a Bluetooth ODBC interface (you can get them on eBay for $20 or so) and a scanner program for your phone or pad (Torque for Android is excellent and is $5).
This way you can monitor your engine and car system functions, get warnings of codes ("pending fault warnings") ahead of time, before they become serious enough for dash warnings to come up, and get the exact codes that are being generated, with detailed explanations, not the dumbed-down dash messages that tell you almost nothing.

They also enable you to reset codes so that you can see if they were one-offs or recurring.

Using a system like this has saved me not only from worsening problems causing real damage, but from mistakes made by mechanics, in one case, before I even left the driveway of the shop!

Spend $25 and know what's happening to your car.

Tro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive - VF SS

Tro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive - VF SS
OK so this is where I'm at...

waiting for the OBDC interface to arrive (2 days?)
downloaded an app (free to view codes - $20 to get full use of all features .. typical but what do you do!)

will research PC versions over the next few days...

Been to a Holden service department, they suggest it all depends on the software running in my ECU, I may have to "relearn" (put in the serial number to accept transmission) the relationship between the ECU and TCM
also depends on software support .. so I would love to hear from anyone who has (successfully) played with various versions of software based ODBC scanner/s

at this stage I am thinking about getting the second hand unit, if I cant get it to work, take it to someone who can reprogram... (might keep my costs down)

any advise would be greatly appreciated, I will happy post results

Tro

routier1642

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6
My typo - it should have been "OBD2" or "OBD II". (ODBC is a computer database thing - I was tired)

As for the OBD2 interfaces, there are a few dodgies on the market, but generally they're like DVD players are now - bugger all difference, they all do the job.
There are some up-market ones which read specific GM codes (which is what you need for a Holden), but I haven't tried them so I don't know how really useful that would be.

Hopefully, in the short run, you will find out some things that will help you make an informed decision about how to get it fixed.

In the long run, you won't regret being able to read codes & monitor what your vehicle is doing.
The standard dash is dirt-simple caveman stuff by comparison.

Tro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive - VF SS
OK, got the interface, works very well!

Using different software (free apps) I get good details and can clear the codes

last few days, car drives fine and no issues!

Fault code was 0700 - even gives a description. Trans control module showing faults (which is not what I was told initially)

So when/if it comes back I will investigate then...

for anyone else, the cheap ELM327 Bluetooth interface works well and its cheap
does not however work with IPhone

Tro

spider181

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Clubsport R8
Hi Tro - my VZ R8 is doing these symptoms - Holdens say TCM no communicating - did U replace yours and did it fix problem - cheers for thread Ian/Adelaide