Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best stuff to clean leather?

shanhsv

Luvo
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais V6 & VSII Senator 215i
hi all, im selling my old xuv seats and are in need of a good clean, more so the drivers seat. Whats the best stuff to use. The drivers seat is pretty bad and wont be easy

bretto86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
What are they worth in good condition compared to as is?

Leatherique is probably one of the best I've used but quite expensive (maybe $100 for cleaner & conditioner but you could just use cleaner)
Also fiddly, but if seats aren't in car it will be a lot easier...
Unfortunately not available off the shelf at many places.

Otherwise something like Meguiars APC should do a good job cheap.

Have also heard good things about Bowdens Own which you may be able to get at Autobarn...

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
If you want to be old fashioned, go to a place where they sell horse stuff, get some "saddle soap", it cleans and restores, (provided you provide the elbow grease)

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I would not recommend saddle soap , it's not really meant for cleaning leather, it's as messy as all get out , a good quality leather cleaner from an automotive retailer would do the truck

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
When I bought my Monaro new ( all black interior), I was recommended some Meguairs leather treatment by the Holden dealer, can't remember exactly what, but I do remember following the instructions, and the end result was like somebody had smeared yoghurt all over the interior and left it to dry. Bloody disaster.
Only way to get it off was to pull out the seats, scrub them with a nail brush and saddle soap and lots of clean water.
I now use "Oakwood" leather conditioner, which I get from a horse place.

shanhsv

Luvo
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais V6 & VSII Senator 215i
Yes the seats are out, and as is worth maybe $600-700, if I clean them up they'll be worth closer to $1000. I work as a coal tech so I get covered in coal dust, stupid me often got into the car like this and being beige coloured seats, the drivers seat is now much darker then the other seats. I will suss out horse places I think. Would a steam clean help any?

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
Yes the seats are out, and as is worth maybe $600-700, if I clean them up they'll be worth closer to $1000. I work as a coal tech so I get covered in coal dust, stupid me often got into the car like this and being beige coloured seats, the drivers seat is now much darker then the other seats. I will suss out horse places I think. Would a steam clean help any?

From Autogeek....
Anyone who has ever worked with saddle soap can tell you... it’s messy, it can stain certain leathers, it often streaks, it doesn’t clean well at all, it requires rinsing and it leaves the surface feeling tacky. Whoever first touted saddle soap as a leather cleaner had their facts dreadfully wrong.
Saddle soap is also notoriously alkaline – and alkalinity actually damages leather. Alkalinity can abrade both the hide itself and the stitching which binds it. With all the great leather care products available at market; there is simply no reason to opt for saddle soap.
Leatherique is best..google it..used it on my seats. two bottle treatment..oil seats first (not the cleaner first!)leave overnight then use the cleaner. The oil penetrates the leather and leeches out the crap then the cleaner cleans em.
Its a time consuming job but works a treat.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
imagejpg1_zps14abeb3b.jpg

This is what I use