Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

has anybody changed any rear bushings in their car?

aszaheer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
So there is plenty of information out there about front end bushes and what the benefits are with changing them (for example radius rod, sway bar lower control arm). However I couldn't find much about the rear bushes. Is it because they are much more durable as compared to the front or is it something else?

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
There is a more info on the front as it has more bearing on how your car steers and handles more than the rear.
For the rear a lot depends on what handling versus ride quality you want.
If like me you still want a good ride then just replace the large rear cradle front bushes with new std rubber bushes when needed.
My way is if you ride on it use rubber, if it controls sideways movement use urethane.
All my sway bar bushes are urethane, plus the rear diff bush insert.
If you want flatter handling just fit bigger swaybars F&R.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I'd be interested in this info, I was told on a recent vehicle inspection that a rear cradle bush swap would set me back about a grand and that I should consider it in the next 12 months. I figure it must be a pretty big job.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
Its dead easy with the right tools.
Do one side at a time and make sure the car is sitting nice and firm on stands if not using a hoist.
The bolt that holds the rear cradle up to the body has the highest torque setting for the whole car, so needs a good tight socket and a nice extra long breaker bar to crack loose.
Dont try and swing it in the wrong direction or you could round off the bolt head like my nephew did.
We had to use 2 different size bolt extractors to finally get the bolt out.
Also the bolts are throw away after use so you need 2 new bolts each time you dismantle the rear cradle bush.
Then undo the 3 smaller bolts on the plate holding the front of the cradle in position.
Once the cradle is hanging from the car you just pry out the old bush with a large screwdriver.
Installation is reverse of removal.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
No adjustments or anything required after??

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
No its just a bolt in affair.
Best to leave everything else bolted up while you do each side that way the cradle stays in position as they can go out of alignment if you were to have both sides unbolted at same time.
As for the springs/shocks just let them hang down all connected up.
When you place the car on stands with wheels removed it all just hangs down and you just do one side at a time.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
you make it sound so easy :)

one day I'll pull my finger out and do it.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
Well it is that easy, fitted urethane bushes and hated the ride characteristics as it transmitted not only every bump into the cabin but you could hear every clank inside the diff.
So after a month I replaced the urethane with new rubber bushes which takes about 1-2 hours now I know what I'm doing.
My son wanted the urethane bushes fitted to his car which we did after we got out the stuffed bolt by his cousin trying to undo the bolt in the wrong direction and even with having to use bolt extractors still only took 2 of us an hour.