Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz electrical/alternator issue

dlp1969

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina wagon
Hi. Have had an ongoing issue with my vz ss ute. To start with it has an intermittent alternator noise through the speakers whether the stereo is on or off. If i turn of the climate control sometimes this will stop the noise for a short while but it does come back. It will also cut power to the stereo and lately also to the instrument gauges for a second before coming back on. This almost always happens when i am braking.

I was thinking it was possibly a faulty alternator/regulator. Hoping someone has any ideas.

vz_sv6_owner1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS storm ute
Do you have an aftermarket sound system installed.. If so check the earth point are secure and on metal to metal + are not just tech screwed in place

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
make sure or your earth off the battery have good clean contact.
The noise can be Alternator related or your car coil pack .
Did you change your head unit, if so it might be worth while fitting a noise filter. Most cheap unknown brands are bad for noise.
The only thing is to do is check all the wiring and plugs that is causing the issues and go from there. and all earth wires.

dlp1969

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina wagon
Thanks for suggestions. It is original head unit although i think a previous owner may have had an aftermarket unit installed as small crack in facia of original head unit. Other thing i forgot to mention was a couple of times recently the car nearly stalled when head unit/instruments cut out while braking and the ABS warning sounded briefly.

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
It sounds like a wire issues , I be pulling out the dash and check that the cluster has been properly clicked back in , or so check the head unit wiring to see if its been put back correctly. sounds like a earth problem.
and check your battery terminals are tight .

Hrd455

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz v6 ute
Easiest thing to do is to check the volts while the car is running before u start pulling **** apart, hold mode and set button while turning the ignition on and scroll throught to the volts screen by pressing mode

dlp1969

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina wagon
Ok seems to be fixed. Searched the forum and found a similar issue, noted your suggestions (thanks)and spoke to a friend who used to be an auto electrician with holden around the time of the VY/VZ. Turned out to be bad earth. Checked cleaned and tightened battery terminals and the main ground connector and post on the body behind the battery (white connector). Haven't had any issues for a few days so hoping it stays that way.