Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ lumina stock gps info

bluc

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz lumina
Hey all first post here. I pick up my 2005 vz lumina in the next week or so and am wondering about the stock gps, I found a thread on here with a picture of a vz lumina with factory gps. Wondering if anyone has more info on it, are the units still available, is it a 7 inch device and is there a mounting kit available, if the units are no longer available was thinking maybe I could get my hands on a mounting kit I may be able to fit a nexus 7 tablet in the space and use navigation software from that.(all else fails I will have to make something) . cheers and thanks in advance.

Nfsve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Haven't heard of such a module. If it was still available it would be worth more than a tablet with built in GPS, and way more than a Garmin or similar.

pbax

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
The GPS went in where the storage compartment with the spring door thing is under the stereo. I believe you can remove that compartment and replace it with the GPS fitting.

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
I do believe that the factory GPS was a option for the HBD Statesman/Caprice and for the Calais. I couldn't see why you couldn't get a unit to fit a lumina, the consoles are all the same design anyway.

Group C

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
That's correct was an option by HBD my mate just sold his VY belina wagon had a factory fitted GPS in the fron part of console, cant remember the brand of GPS unit though

bluc

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz lumina
Yea was planning on using either my odroid pc or my nexus 7. Main reason I was interested was thought I might be able to use the stock mount.(with some modifications) Anyone know if there is a mounting kit or is it built into the GPS?

Deltak

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hi,

The stock GPS that came with the car as OEM cost a bomb, had few if any features we expect today and expensive to update. The cheapest brand name unit available 8 years ago was far superior.

JHP make a bezel to mount your GPS down on the console where the ash tray normally mounts. This is an expensive ($297) piece of plastic though and may not be large enough for your tablet.

bluc

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz lumina
Hi,

The stock GPS that came with the car as OEM cost a bomb, had few if any features we expect today and expensive to update. The cheapest brand name unit available 8 years ago was far superior.

JHP make a bezel to mount your GPS down on the console where the ash tray normally mounts. This is an expensive ($297) piece of plastic though and may not be large enough for your tablet.

Thanks I will see what I can find out about it cheers

Auzziephoenix

Typical P Plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
Jungle Fever R8
I just recently got my hands on the factory system, with the molded lower console. The screen has a bracket with three bolts that is held in place beneath the stereo. and the loom snakes down the passenger side of the car into the boot where the computer is located. Mine is out of a caprice (I believe) and that's why it has the molded console. My Dad's Calais has the sat-nav system as well, however the bezel that surrounds the screen is separate from his console and can be removed without removing the console.

The system was made by VDO Dayton.

bluc

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz lumina
What size is the openig in the molding? Guessing its only for about a 5 inch 127mm screen ?