Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wheel Refurbishing. Spray, Powder Coat or Chrome?

Mattde

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
So I just picked up a set of 19" Rims on the weekend for a killer price and they are in a little need of refurbishing.
Originally the rims were painted silver it seems & thoughts where polish off some of the black marks on them.

As i continued to polish they turned more black and it turns out I was polishing back to their previous colour which was black.
I then began to gently sand back the paint to see what I was working with and went through a layer of silver, then black, then silver, then black again and then finally to the base primer coat.

So instead of spending 50hours working on these and spraying them myself I may just get someone else to do it for me.
and since the primer around the centre of the rim was put OVER crappy aged metal they have flaked and look terrible
(pics below)

So I'm looking for a little advice on what to do with these. My options I believe:
- Get them re-sprayed.
- Powder coat them.
or
- get them chromed.
I'm hoping to get them either chrome or silver, but happy to hear other opinions?

Either way they will likely need to be sandblasted and stripped back to the base metal and worked with from there which I can't do myself.

Does anyone know of rough costs of the above processes and know anyone in the Sydney area that could do this for me?
Even a budget job would look far better than they currently do!

Thanks Guys, I don't know alot about this sorta stuff so please be kind ;)
Pics below:
m7vwgh.jpg

28cmt6v.jpg

2dc5wk6.jpg

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
Powder coating including stripping them back is around $60 - $80 per wheel in Adelaide ( more expensive if you got them re - painted in 2 pack at probably twice that price or more ). Could do
it yourself with spray cans but alot of effort as you have alot to sand off, then prime, putty filler, top coat and clear coat (maybe $100 in paint and materials + your time). Cheapest option is powdercoat
but tyres have to be removed for that. Look up powder coaters in your area and ask them for a quote.

Mattde

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
Yeh Just got quoted $400 to blast and coat the lot. Doesn't seem a bad price to me.
I'm assuming I could get my nearby Beaurepairs or local garage to take the tyres of for a very minimal price right? and then back on afterwards obviously.
Any idea on Chroming cost? More than $400 I'd asusme?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
upwards of $600 to get one bumper done on a hq for example. It's not cheap, and if you find a place that'll do it cheap its likely that your wheels will end up looking like that again in pretty short order

Mattde

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
Yeh, expected it to be kinda of pricey, waiting on a quote right now.
Likely they would look good enough in black powder-coat anyway.
So should I go black, matte black, Satin, Silver or white? :p