Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vz ignition barrel

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss
Hey guys, Im replacing the ignition barrel in my vz tomorrow. Im wondering if I buy a new barrel with a key skeleton , do I have to still get the barrel re coded for my key ? or can I just put the new skeleton in my key head with out recoding?

Thanks

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss
Sorry, ive just realised recoding the barrel is just replacing the brass things inside the barrel, I was told it had to be electronically coded. sorry for the stupid question.

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
No stupid questions, Yep you just have to arrange the wafers to suit your current key.

Here is a tip though, when you have the old barrel out draw a picture on a sheet of paper and take out each wafer one at a time and mark it on the paper,and then put the same numbered wafer in the new cylinder one at a time. Save heaps of stuffing around if you drop it all or get mixed up. Easy job though...

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss
No stupid questions, Yep you just have to arrange the wafers to suit your current key.

Here is a tip though, when you have the old barrel out draw a picture on a sheet of paper and take out each wafer one at a time and mark it on the paper,and then put the same numbered wafer in the new cylinder one at a time. Save heaps of stuffing around if you drop it all or get mixed up. Easy job though...

Hey mate , thanks for the tip, I picked up the new barrel today so I'll use that method tomorrow. Thanks again.

jdg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
There is a YouTube video of a guy that shows you the process. I followed his instruction when I did mine and finished in a few hrs no problem. Saved myself $200 in labour that Holden wanted to charge me.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss
There is a YouTube video of a guy that shows you the process. I followed his instruction when I did mine and finished in a few hrs no problem. Saved myself $200 in labour that Holden wanted to charge me.

Hey mate, I did mine yesterday. It was a bit more fiddly than I thought it would be. My ignition switch was in the wrong spot. It was turned back to off and I was trying to put the barrel in on accessories.

I took it out clicked it into place , then I lined them up together and it went straight in. Took me a few hours all up but like you said its a big saving doing it yourself. cheers mate