Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ commodore 2nd hand ECU fit straight in or need PIM to match up?

Longslenderbody

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ executive
Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster, appreciate all the help I have gotten from this forum without ever having to post a unique problem!!

This time I couldn't find a thread to help though. The problem is that my ECU was on the way out. I had the telltale fuel guage error sporadically appearing and preventing the car from turning over. I never bothered bypassing the starter relay and bridging the starter motor, I just decided to try and find a second hand ECU rather than spending the $1000 holden wants to replace with a new bosch model.

So I pulled an ECU from an identical car. 175kw auto sedan. I fitted it and tried to start the car. It shows no fuel guage error but didn't turn over or start to begin with.

I reset it with neg off the battery and it turns over but doesn't fire.

I was told by my mechanic friend that if the cars are the same the ECU should just work without any programming etc... I'm now wondering whether that is accurate or not. Are any of you familiar with replacing the ECU with a second hand unit?

Longslenderbody

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ executive
Maybe I made a mistake. I have a feeling that the 175kw pim is 92190063 and 190kw is 92179450..

My car is an executive but an ex cop car so would it possibly be 190kw? Is there any way of telling? Can anyone check the number on their 175 or 190 ECU and help me work this out?

Omega6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Omega
Is the immobiliser light flashing while u try to turn it over ?

Longslenderbody

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ executive
Is the immobiliser light flashing while u try to turn it over ?

No everything lights up like normal, its just not firing I assume because the PIM is different. I just don't have the manuals and can't tell if its the 190 or the 175.

Omega6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Omega
I know the answer is somewhere in your vin, call Holden & give then the vin ?

Longslenderbody

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ executive
Thanks Omega6, you are right, I rang Holden and found out it is the 190KW! It also has FE2 suspension, so it is basically a SV6!! (minus the bodykit and interior)

So I wasted $70 on the 175kw ecu but I find out my car is worth more than I thought so not all bad haha.

I'm going to source a ecu from ebay and see if that works I think. If I get the ecu and PIM module I can't lose right? Hope so :S

new one is $800 and you need computer to install, meaning mechanics charge upwards of $1000

The reco'd 2nd hand part cost me under $200 and its 5 minutes work to do yourself so its worth a try.

Last edited:

Longslenderbody

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ executive
I found the solution. Thought I should post it incase anyone else suffers the same drama. If the numbers on the ECU match up you should be able to just plug-n-play a 2nd hand one.

So you're looking for the number above the barcode eg. 92190063,92179450
and the Service number on the same sticker eg. 12600940

If the two match you should be in business without having to replace the PIM module or BCM etc.

Justcommodoresspares are the ones that sorted it out for me.

Good luck guys, peace.

routier1642

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6
Doesn't the 190 have a distinctive black intake manifold?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I found the solution. Thought I should post it incase anyone else suffers the same drama. If the numbers on the ECU match up you should be able to just plug-n-play a 2nd hand one.

So you're looking for the number above the barcode eg. 92190063,92179450
and the Service number on the same sticker eg. 12600940

If the two match you should be in business without having to replace the PIM module or BCM etc.

So you managed to replace it without linking?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
I had to get the replacement ECU on the VZ ute matched up with the VIN - and you need the VIN from the replacement car the ECU came from!

Cost me $270 to get it linked!

I very much doubt it's just plug n play.....