Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Popping sounds when accelerating hard

auxi

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz acclaim
I have a 04 v6 auto, When I accelerate really hard at speed I get a popping noise and it doesn't seem to have any power so I generally back off, it wasn't happening with the stock exhaust I had on for a week while I got an epa cleared, but if I accelerate from a stop it doesn't happen, if I try to do a burnout it pretty much just pops and the wheels wont spin or if I try to accelerate by dropping down a gear I often get the popping sound, has no trouble at all drifting in the wet or the dry, no trouble climbing through to 6k from a stop, my transmission is pretty terrible I know that as I it jerks going into 2nd and 3rd, unless the revs are below 1500 or above 4k, so that was first thought but it doesn't explain the popping if I try to do a burnout, spark plugs only have 40k on them engine has 144k, my only guess is that (and I am in no way in the slightest at all a mechanic) one or more of the piston rings is worn out and lets pressure out when under heavy load? also just had a service no issues apart from battery not charging properly from the sound system murdering it.

Anyone got any ideas or heard it happen previously?

Ozzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ acclaim
With all the Burn outs and drifting you seem to be doing it's no surprise to me that something's gone wrong. Owning a vz acclaim myself I feel a little sad for it :(

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Station Wagon
No codes? Battery not charging? Leave your stereo off for a week, drive gently for a week. Revisit the thread and update us.