Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Major Service questions

cp993

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF SV6 Series ll
My SV6 is due for a major service and was wondering what i should be expecting in terms of work done besides the obvious(i.e grease and oil change) i plan on spending around 500-600 bucks and for that price want to know if what the mechanic is promising in terms of work being done is worth the price tag or should i look elsewhere. thanks!

Mattde

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
I can't speak from a vast well of knowledge but it certainly boils down to what needs replacing.
My last major service was $1,160. but that included a new starter motor. Obviously you wont always get big headache problems like that which need to be replaced but it is always good to be prepared.
Also depends on the how many K's and the condition of your Tyres, Brakes and how much you have (or havn't) thrashed the engine since your last service?

cp993

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF SV6 Series ll
ahh ok fair enough well ive got pretty much brand new tyres and brakes that i replaced a month or so ago and my radiator is brand new also so that wont be an issue its mainly the sparkies, leads and fuel filter that'll need replacing on top of the standard filters i.e oil filter etc but i think i might need a transmission service too as the car hesitates when travelling on the freeway at around 80-110km i have to hit the accelrator that little bit harder for it to go back to normal

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Pretty much depends on what gets done , obviously apart from oil and filter , I think what you have estimated might be about right .

cp993

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF SV6 Series ll
Pretty much depends on what gets done , obviously apart from oil and filter , I think what you have estimated might be about right .

do you think that by the sounds of my issue on the freeway a transmission service is needed too?

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
I'd be more inclined to think plugs, does misfire at all ?

cp993

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF SV6 Series ll
I'd be more inclined to think plugs, does misfire at all ?

nahh the rpm gauge just jolts up and down a little and the car feels hesitant then if i hit the accelerator a little harder rpm goes up car takes off and its back to normal...

pbax

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
How many Km's has the car done?
If your brave enough just service it yourself, you can find most info on this site or get a manual that will tell you how to do most things.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
nahh the rpm gauge just jolts up and down a little and the car feels hesitant then if i hit the accelerator a little harder rpm goes up car takes off and its back to normal...

Could be transmission ,there a bit of of a bastard to check as well as they have no dipstick as such , just a plug on the side of transmission .

cp993

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF SV6 Series ll
How many Km's has the car done?
If your brave enough just service it yourself, you can find most info on this site or get a manual that will tell you how to do most things.

Just clocked over 160k

yeah i think it might be the transmission so if i can get a service done with a gearbox service included ill go for it