Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Key Problems

squidgie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 vz commodore
Guys i am having problems opening my doors with my key touch pad sometimes it opens other times it wont i have brought a new key pad thinking maybe battery in pad is low but problem persists this is driving me made as alarm goes of all the time i use my key in door is there some thing that i can do to fix i'm not very mechanical i think a lot of the time this happens the weather is damp or we have had rain my radio some times does the same thing in wet weather

cheers squidgie

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Station Wagon
Hi squidgie,

I have problems when the back of my key fob is blocked by my other keys. Could that be happening with yours?

squidgie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 vz commodore
Nar has done it to me once today just wont unlock with key pad have to manually do it then alam goes off drives me mad as when i leave at 5am i wake the neighbours up is it the computer chip or something else
cheer squidgie

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Station Wagon
Nar has done it to me once today just wont unlock with key pad have to manually do it then alam goes off drives me mad as when i leave at 5am i wake the neighbours up is it the computer chip or something else
cheer squidgie

Hi again

Does it do it using your spare key? Also can you disable the alarm horn until you fix it?

aszaheer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
I had similar issues with my key due to a weak battery. The key would only work if pressed within a certain area or range around the car. Alot of people will say you cant change the battery and that the key will have to be reprogrammed and wont work once you remove the battery. I can tell you from experience that that is not the case. I followed the guide in the link [bymjh.com/ois/key/#.U_AfRvmSxHM] and its been almost a year with no issues. Just make sure you keep your car doors unlocked before you do the procedure and use a good battery. I also replaced the key fob when I did this with one from ebay as mine had lost its buttons. Once done just start your car with the key and it should work perfectly after.

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
Do you have a mobile phone tower or repeater close by? Used to give me all sorts of dramas with my old Subaru

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Sorry Gang for digging up a old thread, instead of starting a duplicate one.

I usually Purchase New OEM Fobs, and recommend New Key Fobs, as I recon they are the best replacements,
but have you seen the prices of the OEM Key Fobs now probably because "Holden has left the Building" !
the last OEM ones I purchased were $49, the Same Key Fob is now $89+

My recent purchase a car with Original 2 Keys, [I didnt expect them to work due to the age]
One was ok, the other had worn out buttons,
But they "both" only worked while close to the car, or in the car.
however, my recent Car I purchased (2006 VZ Adventra - My Project) I am on budget the moment due to now work.
So I figured,
Ahh, the internal Batteries were going flat,
I found a guy that is local to me that sells the CR2032 Tab Batteries for $2 online,
So I organised to meet him and purchase the 2 Batteries.
Today my mission impossible, was to replace the Batteries in both remotes,
Split the shells open,
de-soldered the both batteries with a solder sucker,
Installed the replacement Batteries,
Glued the shells back together with Epoxy Resin glue,
And they went back together and look as good as new, very pleased with the result !
but,
The same operation remains, I have to be close to the Car, or inside the Car for them to work.
So I have put it down to the Common Denominator, it has to be the Receiver or similar.

Has any other Member/s had the same issue with a Lack of Range with the Key Fobs/Heads ?
If so, how did you over come it ?

I disconnected the Car Battery for 10 minutes,
Did the Key/Ignition Re-set thing,
but still the same issue.

Is there a Physical Receiver, if so where is the Reciever for the Remotes,
or is it built in to the BCM.
For the Programming of the Key Fobs, it is a Seperate Menu on the Autel.

Any input will be appreciated.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It’s an easy swap. The sun sensor in the centre of the windscreen serves as the infrared receiver as well. Remove the demister trims and the centre dash trim above the vents.

It’s suggested in the manual that you should stand near the B-pillar to test its function. There is a procedure.

I also suspect the doors not locking or unlocking can be the relay (drivers door relay in particular) not being at its best.
You're a bit handy, might pay to re-solder some new relays into the BCM? Bit of a long shot. Also the door loom can be a thing.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Yes, I thought about the Relays in the BCM, but all the Doors work Ok inside the car.
Thinking, could it be the Relay/s

Because I remember the Indicator issue the VZ's have, so that was where it got me thinking.

Side Note: I even thought about removing the actual locks and servicing them, less strain on the Central Locking Solenoids/motors, but that a Rainy Day Project, oh it is was raining today, oh well, the Next rainy day project.
I did notice some numb nut has run an extra speeker wire from the door frame to door on the ouside of the cable boot,
and has just wire tied it to the door boot and left the door boot un-clipped, bloody slack !

I will check the BCM out tomorrow, and see how many relays are in there,
and for the sake of it, just replace them, they cant be that expensive.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
3E4907DC-DCA0-4F8A-B9B2-8A07454E2025.jpeg

59ECF23E-E9F8-4710-AD41-8972377A8B63.jpeg