Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Check powertrain error alert

Whiteballs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Station Wagon
Hi guys,

First time posting in here so excuse me if I break any unwritten rules.

I am currently getting a Check powertrain alert when I start my car each time. I had it serviced and the error message found was 'Oil pressure not operating in correct parameters'.
I stuffed up about 2 years ago and let my servicing run muuuch longer than it should (I rarely got it serviced before it cost me nearly $2000 to fix everything). The oil was caked in the engine and it was giving a similar error message although oil was pouring out the top of the engine due to me being an idiot and the whole engine was clogged with old oil basically.
Got that fixed and have had it serviced at around every 7000kms since then like I should.

I had it serviced and the mechanic said it would probably just be a faulty sensor which would cost roughly $200 to replace. Problem is though, I drove it down to Brisbane the following day and it coughed and spluttered and when I accelerated it lost power and struggled to drive. I pulled over immediately and turned the car off. I let it sit for a few minutes and started the car again, the error message blared as usual but the car ran fine with no spluttering.

My question is, would a sensor do that? Would it make the car lose power or would it be something else?
I have just shot an email to Holden to see how much it will cost to run a full diagnostic on it but I'm just curious if anyone on here has had something similar.
Any response is much appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Hey Dave, never had that happen,but the sensor being faulty might explain the car losing power , as it's detecting a problem, might I suggest that you get it replaced and do a few quick oil changes in between the 7000k mark , a full diagnostic would be sure to find anything else that may be amiss .
Hope this helps

Wats_in_a_name

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I had a "check powertrain" warning and the beeping sound, plus the car would miss a beat. Turned out it was one of the injectors (my mechanic checked it with a scan tool) and it was a $210 fix. I haven't had a problem since.

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Dave

Engine number and build date?

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
Replace the oil pressure sensor, they drop their guts at the drop of a hat.

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
Just got it back. Oil pressure sensor.
Cheers guys.

Well done - and what a relief for you. Mine is already done - under warranty. But the next one will be on me :)