Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Urgent help! Where does your temp gauge needle rest?

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
I just bought an instrument cluster panel and I notice that when I first start the car in the morning when the engine is completely cool, the temp gauge needle is a little below 1/8. And when it is at operating temperature, it is at the half mark!
My old one rested on the first mark, like the beginning line, and at the 1/4 mark at operating temperature.

What is going on? Is this normal? I bought this thing from a guy online, should I return it back? Can it be recalibrated?

Plz reply asap as I don't wanna get stuck with a cluster that is faulty and wasn't cheap.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ acclaim
My old vy lumina sat at half way but my new vz acclaim sits at the first mark how ever according to the temps they sit at near the same... I wouldn't be worried tbh

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Maybe the needles have been moved.

When vehicle is off, do they sit in a similar position where the old ones sat?

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
Maybe the needles have been moved.

When vehicle is off, do they sit in a similar position where the old ones sat?

This is the old one...

20140813_194531_zps681eff0c.jpg

And this is the new one...

20140813_192205_zps5e7548a1.jpg

Like you can see above, for the temp and fuel gauges, the new one's got the needles sitting at the first mark whereas the old one's got the needles below the mark.

And when I get to the engineering mode as described in https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vy-vz-everything-know-about-changing-clusters.203722, the following is what happens...

The new one...

The old one...

Obviously the new one's off. The needles arent where they are supposed to be when in engineering mode, which is half way.

I tried calibrating it according the the link above. I started with the temp gauge. The needle needed to be pushed back a bit like you can see in the pic above. But when i touched it, it seems like it "broke loose" and the needle just fell all the way to the bottom after which it gave no resistance whenever i moved it either up or down...it got really loose. So now wherever i turn the key it goes all the way to the bottom and immediately goes up slowly to rest "below" the first mark with the key in the on position and the engine cold. Turn the key to the off position and it "abnormally" bottoms out.

Desperately need your expertise on this guys!

Last edited:

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
On the new cluster, all needles look off

As you can see from the old one in comparison, its not aligned right, hence why you think its hotter as the needle is higher.

As for drooping needle, push it in a bit more