Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need to disguise my OTRCAI MAFless tune! help!

PetesProject

Gas is for barbecue's...
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6.0L L76
Hi guys, just to elaborate a little on the title of this thread, I live in Adelaide and I have just purchased a 2006 VZ SS 6 litre from Cairns,
the car is on the way over on a truck and in order to get the car registered in Adelaide, it needs to go through a Tier 2 vehicle identification
inspection. While I'm aware that they are only going to be looking for matching VIN and engine numbers, I'm concerned that they will see the
alloy OTRCAI and either defect me on the spot, or send me through for a full roadworthy, I would like to avoid that if possible.

So here's what I have done so far, I purchased a stock air box, stock MAF (Mass Air Flow metre), stock throttle body piping. The plan is to assemble
the stock setup and remove the OTRCAI for the inspection, NOW, here lies the potential problem, the car needs to be able to be driven in and out
of the place of inspection... being a MAFless tune, can I simply put all these accessories into the engine bay with the wire NOT attached to the MAF
and expect it to run ok for a few minutes? or if I am able to connect the wire to the MAF will it run worse because it has probably been tuned or
will that not matter? There is also a wire that runs to the OTRCAI and I'm not sure how relevant that is because it is in fact MAFless from what I
can see...or am I totally wrong?

The inspection will be happening next week, I REALLY NEED SOME HELP!!!

Thanks.

Last edited:

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
Been there done that. Did not effect how my car ran but that might also depend on the tune. If unsure just blank off inside the female maf connector with something so the male connector doesnt actually make contact and hold it there neatly with some black electrical tape or a thin wedge of rubber from the under side (they might not notice?). The other wire is the iat sensor - there should be a hole in the stock maf pipe where it pushes in to.. Only difference you will notice is a bit of a lack of power or throttle response compared to having the otr in place..Good luck.

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
You can hook the maf up and drive car as much as you want, the mafless tune just won't read it.

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
I'm in Adelaide. They won't look that closely, they are just looking for re-birthed cars as a rule.

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
Will be interesting to see the outcome of this one.

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
They used to be hot on the drivers and passengers tint levels as well, but with the law being changed they overlook that now as well. I have taken three cars through Regency for a Tier 2 and it has been straight forward all times. But if his Mrs knocked him back that morning..... You never know. Good luck mate, but I reckon you will be fine.

somefool

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
1991 VN 'S', 1997 Ford Laser 1.6
theyll just do the basics.

numbers
tint (if it looks suss)
obvious oil leaks
noise (exhaust)
ride height