Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vz air con

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss
Hey guys, I put my air con on today and heard a howling type sound coming from the motor and my power steering stopped working, then engine stalled, as the air con pulley must have slowed the belt right down.

I'm wondering if I have to change the whole air con compressor or just the pulley on the front of the compressor?

The motor runs fine until you turn on the ac ?

Has anyone had any experience with this before?

Thanks

PetesProject

Gas is for barbecue's...
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6.0L L76
Don't quote me here cause this may not be correct, but...

I had a similar issue in a vs s2 v6, thought the entire unit was stuffed cause it stalled EVERTHING, turns out the car had a very minor AC leak and purged out over the winter, so the AC was shutting itself down to protect it against destroying itself.

And like you said, the belt is constantly under tension while the AC is not on so what else could possibly make it put load onto the steering? check that first, could be as simple as a regas-and why not, it's going to be a hot summer...

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss
hey Pete, Thanks mate, I'll get the gas checked in the next week or so. Otherwise I've been quoted $990 to replace compressor/ regass etc which sounds about right from what I've read on here. thanks again champ.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss
Hey guys, does anyone know what brand ac compressor holden use? Is it Delphi or Calsonic. I've had 2 different shops tell me 2 different brands.