Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Upholstery / trim repair

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Station Wagon
Hi All,

The fabric covering rear seat and front passenger seat is becoming loose and saggy, like it has stretched or the stitching is letting go. I know it's common but can this be fixed without replacing the seats?

regards,
Blake

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Take to an auto trimmer , they'll just repair it , easy peasy Japaneasy

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
sweet , I once had a small tear in the drivers seat on my old VX , all it involved was the removal of the seat and the side squab where the rip was , was re-trimmed , you would have never had known it had been torn .

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Station Wagon
sweet , I once had a small tear in the drivers seat on my old VX , all it involved was the removal of the seat and the side squab where the rip was , was re-trimmed , you would have never had known it had been torn .

Good that it's simple. Car has only done 103K, I got it with 92K and it had been looked after so I'm surprised to see the trim letting go. Do you think they will use the existing material, or replace it?

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
Good that it's simple. Car has only done 103K, I got it with 92K and it had been looked after so I'm surprised to see the trim letting go. Do you think they will use the existing material, or replace it?

depends , they can sometimes use the existing fabric , most places can match anything , it's up to them really , in my case they replaced the fabric on the side squab, as the rip was only going to get worse and they were not able to stretch the old material out that far , I cant recall how much it cost , but I think it was under a $100 , and that's in NZ $$ .

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
I think the material has a thin backing of a soft foam rubber sponge that breaks down over time.
You'll sometimes see fine crumbs of it falling out onto the floor under the sides of the seat.
The upholsterer probably replaces that.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
I think the material has a thin backing of a soft foam rubber sponge that breaks down over time.
You'll sometimes see fine crumbs of it falling out onto the floor under the sides of the seat.
The upholsterer probably replaces that.

He replaced it with mine , now that you mention it .