Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Swap the aircon and stereo around in dash possible

bluc

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz lumina
Hey all was wondering how much would be involved in swapping the position of the air-conditioner and the head unit in the vz commodore dash. I want to put a 7 inch touch screen in for navigation and audio and would like to have the screen higher in the dash was wondering if possible to swap them around so the stereo is higher in the dash? Or is it way to involved and a major job? I thought someone may have already done it.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Depends how good you are with custom fibreglassing?

bluc

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz lumina
After a second look it would not be a straight swap and require a new facia as you said with the fibreglass I think I will scrap that idea.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Definetly requires a lot of butchering. Unless you have climate control... Next to impossible. Well the benefit would far outweigh the effort required. Even if you were good with fibreglass.

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
I was looking at doing this too, but there is too much effort involved in doing it and making a mistake would make it worse..

If someone had that section of the dash as i spare i would try it on that first....

Mattde

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
I was recently looking into this also,
It would likely be easier to mount the screen above the control dials (non climate control) and possibly move the air vents but this also causes issues of its own.
If you were to split the vents you would need a custom tunnel for each of the vents and somehow need to find a mechanism to have directional and open/close controll.
Just sound like one big headache to diy!

bluc

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz lumina
yea I have given up on the idea now my second headache of an idea trying to fit a screen and a single din head unit into the dash....

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
The way i was looking at doing it, chop out the dial air con controls just below the hazard button (depending on how its mounted) and moving the head unit and cage up to where the dials were and put the dials down just above the little flip down storage bin or rip that out completely.

IIRC behind the dials is where the main framework of the dash runs (metal) which would limit how far back stuff could be placed.

Also the issue you would run into would be the cables that connect upto the dials and whether there is room to route them correctly so they still push and pull correctly. (such as for non-climate control)

yea I have given up on the idea now my second headache of an idea trying to fit a screen and a single din head unit into the dash....

Rip out the storage bin down the bottom for more room?

jwaye2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ, LN167 Turbo Hilux, VSII Ute
I do have a suggestion that may interest you. Ive seen before a VY with the top storage panel turned into a pop up screen. So its hidden when you dont want it but if you want to use it you simply pop open the compartment. Enough time on google images you may be able to find some pics of it. Tho its been a few years since i seen it.

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
I do have a suggestion that may interest you. Ive seen before a VY with the top storage panel turned into a pop up screen. So its hidden when you dont want it but if you want to use it you simply pop open the compartment. Enough time on google images you may be able to find some pics of it. Tho its been a few years since i seen it.

Yeah I have seen that and worried about trying to fit a decent screen in, heat if car is left in the sun and also angling/glare...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk