Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bought a worked vz ss 6.0ltr, few questions, please help!

ciuffa

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 vz ss 6.0ltr heads n cam
Hey guys hows it goin, I've recently purchased a 2006 vz ss 6ltr, i bloody love this thing lol, its a holden by design model so its fully optioned, but on top of that the guy who sold it to me has done alot of engine work to it.. i know 100% its got a cam, recently rebuilt and strengthened tranny with 3 grand stall and stage 2 shift kit, dual 3" exhaust with hi flow cats and pacey extractors, otr etc. Now the questions i have are, the guy said he has put upgraded heads on it that he got from america, how can i tell the difference between standard and aftermarket? he claims it has 350rwkw with heads n cam n everything.. he also says its had a forged bottom end, pistons, con rods etc.. im assuming that isnt possible to tell unless u pull the engine apart? he says it has 4.11 diff gears in the standard diff box, how can i tell this? i know 100% its got 320rwkw because theres a video of it on youtube being tuned after the cam work, so the 350 is supposed to be after heads and engine internals upgrade.. and finally, this is more a problem than a performance question, i washed the engine bay at the car wash with the engine running and immediately there was a squeeling noise coming from the pulleys/belt, after mucking around for a while because it wont stop, applying wd-40 to the pulley on the water pump temporarily quietens the noise but then it comes back again.. am i up for a new water pump or is there a way to fix this? if yous have answers to any of my questions id really appreciate it, thanks heaps guys!

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Ask for the receipts from the engine builder. Then go talk to the engine builder.

My belts squealed for about 2 days after driving through about a foot of water. Quietened down eventually. Otherwise go to Supercheap Auto and get a can of belt anti-squel. WD-40 shouldn't be sprayed on the belt.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Heads will probably have whoever made them cast on the side somewhere.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Have a look on the front of the head, if they are still stock LS2 heads they will have a casting number. I think the LS2 heads were either 243 or 799.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
Have a look on the front of the head, if they are still stock LS2 heads they will have a casting number. I think the LS2 heads were either 243 or 799.

The VZ SS 6.0L is a L76 or L98, the LS2 was fitted to only VZ HSV's.
After market heads usually have the brand name somewhere on the head unless they are modified stock heads like getting Higgins CNC'd changeover heads.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
L76 and L98 were still essentially LS2's, just with different software and cams I believe. I refer to all the 6.0L's as LS2's as they are all the same family. Still the same heads though weren't they?

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
no different heads, LS2 have cathedral ports, L98/L77 have the Rectangle ports

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Well there you go. If it has 243 or 799 heads, then they are the good ones.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
L76 and L98 were still essentially LS2's, just with different software and cams I believe. I refer to all the 6.0L's as LS2's as they are all the same family. Still the same heads though weren't they?

Yes you are right about the family connection as they were all classed as Gen4 but with differences Munz pointed out.
A lot of people make the same mistake.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
I take it that its a 4 speed auto from the fact its got a stallie, 4.11 diff gears on a auto is a bad choice if you do any long distance highway driving, a good way to tell is have it in 3rd gear (thats 1:1 on the 4speed for those playing at home) get it to 100km/h. look at the RPM gauge if its around 3500+ its 4.11`s if its around 3000-3200 its 3.7`s-3.9`s.