Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Would you replace the dashboard because of this...? (pics)

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
Considering you know how to do the job and that you have a dashboard laying around and that the center console and the AC controls and head unit is already out (like you can see in the last pic below), would you replace your dashboard because of the crack in the pics below?

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
If this is a poll, then Yes

If you already have gone this far, then yes i would complete it.

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
If this is a poll, then Yes

If you already have gone this far, then yes i would complete it.

well didn't really remove the center console and the stuff in the pic above to pull the dash. That was for another job, which has been completed. I just discovered the crack while trying to get to the sun sensor.

Now I'm just wondering if I'm being too anal or if this would be something that most ppl would want to replace as well.

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Station Wagon
Looking at the crack personally, I wouldn't replace it. Have you inquired to see if there is some sort of glue or solvent that will weld the fracture up?

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
Looking at the crack personally, I wouldn't replace it. Have you inquired to see if there is some sort of glue or solvent that will weld the fracture up?

I was thinking of using 2 part epoxy. But before i get to that, i was wondering if the crack structurally effects the dash in a way that it would make noise.

XioiX1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 V8 Adventra
I was thinking of using 2 part epoxy. But before i get to that, i was wondering if the crack structurally effects the dash in a way that it would make noise.

That's a good point, I hate creaking cars. Epoxy and foam around to help insulate sound and vibration.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
probably not worry about it - so many Commodores getting around with cracks in dashes. Try finding a VN dash in one bit - almost impossible. If it isn't creaking it will not do much for you. Hidden from sight.. in the event of a crash - new crumple zone lol.

Seriously not a lot of point in replacing it :)

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Get yourself some 'fender washers' from Supercheap etc. They have a large surface area and once in place should secure the fitting preventing it from further movement.

ConstantVelocity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII SS M6
Drill a hole through the ends of the crack, helps prevent spreading because the round hole is less of a stress concentration than the sharp end of a crack. Then smear 2-part epoxy over it. The slow-cure stuff is stronger than the 5 minute stuff. The larger washers are a good idea too.