Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vz fuel consumption with tune

TAILS83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
I had a maffless tune done on my VZ SS A4. with full exhaust and OTR. only added the otr at the time of the tune and gained 30rwkw (now 230rwkw)

everyone says there getting these great fuel figures in the low 9's with similar mods but mine didn't change at all and sits around 11l/100km's. I only do hwy kms as well. these figures are calculated from fuel put into the car rather than the dash although the dash seems to be spot on now since the tune.

what are people thoughts?

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
Common problem...new otr + new mafless tune = more power = more heavy right foot ...
or tell your tuner about it and he should do a touch up tune. How old is your exhaust and did you get new headers
with it cos the burning off of header coating/paint stuffs your o2sensors which adds to fuel consumption...you could do a pcm reset..

TAILS83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Pretty much what the tuner said but I do the same 70km round trip on the hwy even day.

The exhaust was on the car when I bought it. Try-y pacies, high flow cats and twin 2.5in exhaust.

I have since put new o2 sensors in.

Reset pcm

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
Pretty much what the tuner said but I do the same 70km round trip on the hwy even day.

The exhaust was on the car when I bought it. Try-y pacies, high flow cats and twin 2.5in exhaust.

I have since put new o2 sensors in.

Reset pcm

Before i got my cam and otr upgrade i had basically the same mods as you and i didnt see any better fuel economy either compared to when it was stock just more power. Even after changing the cam to a bigger item and gaining roughly another 35rwkw the fuel consumption is still the same as pre-cam but with a bonus of more power again. Each engine is different and there are too many variables with some getting better economy than others. Its a v8 and its going to suck juice so a few extra bucks is worth the gains in performance..

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
Common problem...new otr + new mafless tune = more power = more heavy right foot ...
or tell your tuner about it and he should do a touch up tune. How old is your exhaust and did you get new headers
with it cos the burning off of header coating/paint stuffs your o2sensors which adds to fuel consumption...you could do a pcm reset..

#### yes! This is me to a tee!

I can get my usage down in the 10.5 - 11's by cruising it but to be honest I don't!

The OTR added a nice note and I love hearing it. Am I a child in that way.... yes.

I am sure I'll get over it at some point, but for now I have to contend with higher fuel usage.

routier1642

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6
I got a CAI, manifold spacer, and tune.
Fuel consumption is the same, but pickup is much better!

VZSSCHASE

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss 6l
my average fuel consumption is 23l/100 that's just driving around theres a reason y I have a second car so if your getting way under that consider yourself lucky

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Did you get a dyno result sheet? if so look for the high speed AFR (air/fuel ratio) around 13-14 parts air/1 part fuel is what I keep seeing on LS family tunes, maybe have a look to see what yours is.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
my average fuel consumption is 23l/100 that's just driving around theres a reason y I have a second car so if your getting way under that consider yourself lucky

sure there isn't a hole in the fuel tank, that's atrocious!

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS

WTF..but yours is a cammed 6L with over 300rwkw so would expect more fuel usage (but maybe not that much)??