Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SV6 Engine Vibration / Balance Issue

P1otr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
Recently i have started to develop an engine balance issue in my auto vz sv6. Basically comes and goes - regardless if its cold or warm.

Its more of a balance issue around about 1200 to 2000 rpm and really hear the vibration through the front (more the left). It only happens under load (in gear) and i can get the noise to happen with brake on in drive and revving it up around that rpm range. When it happens at that rpm while the car is moving it doesn't loose any power just vibrates and i can accelerate above 2000 rpm and the vibration goes away. In Park or neutral the vibration is not there.

When i say vibration - it doesn't resonate through the steering wheel and doesn't feel like its in the gear box / rear of the car.

I went to Holden and at first they struggled to see the noise and then he turned on the a/c and he saw what was going on and said to come back when it happens all the time. I actually checked this out and found that the car runs pretty well and i won't to see the vibration until i turn on the A/C.

I went down to local mechanic and said it 90% the engine mount issue in the car. Before i book it in i wanted to get see if anyone here has had this issue and what was the fix.

Last edited:

P1otr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
Also if someone has a good reliable mechanic around the s/e suburbs (around narre warren) would really appreciate if you could pass on his details.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
I would be inclined to check both engine mounts AND Harmonic Balancer. If the rubber in the Harmonic Balancer has deteriorated it can cause severe knocking noise and the sensation of something badly out of balance in in the engine compartment.

P1otr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
wouldn't the harmonic balancer we causing the balance issue at all rpm instead of just a specific range?

EHVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ v6
wouldn't the harmonic balancer we causing the balance issue at all rpm instead of just a specific range?

I reckon you're right there, but I'm no expert. I have had a balancer issue years ago (non commodore) and the symptoms were apparent even at idle.

Your current issue sounds similar to mine, however it's 1500 - 2000rpm for me. Above 2000 all good, below 1500 as well.

Let us know if you discover something. I'll try and check the mounts when I can. Seems like a legit reason, although I'd have expected the symptom to also be bad at lower revs and at higher loads if it was in fact the engine mounts. Will let you know if I find anything out, but don't hold your breath.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004

Mad Pete

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
I have this same problem,Ive been trying to sort it out for about a year.
its not there at idle,slight vibrating resonating moan i call it.
Hence I named my car Moaner.
at first it vibrated at around 1200 to 2000rpm
after replacing Both engine mounts,Both Tail shaft couplers
the centre bearing ,the 6 coils n plugs,6 new injectors'
the vibration is now around 1500rpm and go's away at about 17-1800
the resonating hum,moan,vibration is coming from the heat shields on the cats there a stupid idea
they got a pop rivet on one end and like a hose clamp on the other.
after time from exhaust expanding and shrinking,from get hot then cooling down
these clamps and sheilds stretch and that's why there vibrating.
But What is Causing the vibration is still the Question..
I Dont know,hope someone can help cos as i said i been trying to sort it out for a while
i too do think its some sort of balance issue
and i also think this is a VZ Alloytec issue
but i could be wrong..

The_Ball

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Aclaim
Did you get to the bottom of this issue? I'm having the exact same thing. Replaced, both front engine mounts, rear transmission mount, tailshaft, tailshaft coupler doughnuts, CV joints, coils and plugs etc.

I'll have a look at the catalytic convert heat shields, but again I'd love to find the source of the vibration.

The only thing I can think of is the harmonic balancer, however I don't know how to tell if the one I have is actually bad.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Did you get to the bottom of this issue? I'm having the exact same thing. Replaced, both front engine mounts, rear transmission mount, tailshaft, tailshaft coupler doughnuts, CV joints, coils and plugs etc.

I'll have a look at the catalytic convert heat shields, but again I'd love to find the source of the vibration.

The only thing I can think of is the harmonic balancer, however I don't know how to tell if the one I have is actually bad.
Replaced the engine mounts/trans mount with what brand from where ?
Unless you use genuine from a Holden dealer you will most likely get a harmonic vibration which has nothing to do with the balancer.
You can also get a harmonic vibration caused by the fitting of nolathene or similar bushes mounts etc

The_Ball

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Aclaim
The right engine mount was bought at Repco ($120), the left Burson ($80) and the transmission mount Burson ($55).

I had a friend help with modulating the throttle while in drive with the AC on and holding the brake. The engine vibrates a bit around 1500-1700 and this translates to the AC lines moving/swinging.

A couple of them were not clipped in and the pipes going through the firewall were somehow making contact with the frame. Bending them a bit to center them better helped a lot.

So looks like post #6 from SavVYute is on the money. Not sure if these motors do vibrate a bit at the RPM or if they are supposed to be silky smooth? Also my AC is getting a bit low on gas, not sure if that would cause any vibration?