Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need opinions on which diff gears

muzz2005vzute

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 vz commodore ute
I've currently got an open diff with 3.08 gears in it and want to upgrade to an LSD. I've got a 2005 manual v6 ute. I'm tossing up whether to stick with 3.08 gears or go up to 3.4's. If I went to 3.4's would I need to get my speedo re calibrated? Also if anyone has 3.4's in a v6 manual, what revs does it sit on when your doing 100?

dsuth77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS A6 UTE
check the tag on your diff it will state your ratio. I upgraded to a 3.08 lsd about 7% more than the 2.87 I had (I believe yours will be same).
the problem with going any bigger is 1st gear is already very low.

@ 100 klph in 6th is about 1850 rpm from memory (I will check tomorrow) its still too high for overtaking

you can easily adjust your speedo plug in a tech2 (my mechanic has one) you need to find the ppk (pulses per kilometre) value for your car (6600 ish from memory) divide it by your old diff ratio (ie 2.87) then times it by your new diff ratio (ie 3.08) and input the new value.

there was a page on the web on doing just this

dsuth77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS A6 UTE
check the tag on your diff it will state your ratio. I upgraded to a 3.08 lsd about 7% more than the 2.87 I had (I believe yours will be same).
the problem with going any bigger is 1st gear is already very low.

@ 100 klph in 6th is about 1850 rpm from memory (I will check tomorrow) its still too high for overtaking

you can easily adjust your speedo plug in a tech2 (my mechanic has one) you need to find the ppk (pulses per kilometre) value for your car (6600 ish from memory) divide it by your old diff ratio (ie 2.87) then times it by your new diff ratio (ie 3.08) and input the new value.

there was a page on the web on doing just this