Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

CD player

D

Don123

I leave the disk in the CD player and when I start the car it start playing, but today when when I started the car it was quiet for a few seconds and then I heard 3 beeps the disk popped out and a message "check disk" was displayed on the screen, I tries again and also other disks and it happened again each time, so I left it for 20 minutes and tried again and this time the disk played normally. any Idea what happened with the player?? Thanks

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Station Wagon
I leave the disk in the CD player and when I start the car it start playing, but today when when I started the car it was quiet for a few seconds and then I heard 3 beeps the disk popped out and a message "check disk" was displayed on the screen, I tries again and also other disks and it happened again each time, so I left it for 20 minutes and tried again and this time the disk played normally. any Idea what happened with the player?? Thanks

Hi Don

If your player gets a fair amount of use, it could be laser wear. The laser could also need cleaning but this has to be done on a bench in order not to risk scratching the lens. The laser runs on polished rails and is driven by a motor with a worm gear, any of the components could be dirty or worn. I'd just keep an eye on it. If there is wear, it will gradually become worse and you'll likely need to have it serviced. Replacing the laser requires someone with the right skill and equipment to calibrate and focus the new laser.

D

Don123

Thank you. Actually the CD player doesn't get that much usage as I normally listen to the MP3, but for about 3 weeks straight I was using the CD.
Hi Don

If your player gets a fair amount of use, it could be laser wear. The laser could also need cleaning but this has to be done on a bench in order not to risk scratching the lens. The laser runs on polished rails and is driven by a motor with a worm gear, any of the components could be dirty or worn. I'd just keep an eye on it. If there is wear, it will gradually become worse and you'll likely need to have it serviced. Replacing the laser requires someone with the right skill and equipment to calibrate and focus the new laser.

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Station Wagon
Thank you. Actually the CD player doesn't get that much usage as I normally listen to the MP3, but for about 3 weeks straight I was using the CD.
If you bought the car second hand it may have had more use (is it the stock head unit?). Anyway, thinking about it more I'd be inclined to keep an eye on it and it may end up more economical to just replace the unit completely.