Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ door will not unlock or open

maff811

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim
Hi all,

I have tried to find an answer elsewhere without luck.

I have a 2005 VZ Commodore Acclaim. In recent times I have had a problem with the lock on the rear passenger side door. The first time the issue happened, I locked the car and the alarm went off. The reason for this was that the rear passenger side door did not lock. I locked it manually and then locked the car with the remote.

From this point on, the remote has only intermittently unlocked the rear passenger side door. I have never had any luck with it actually locking by using the remote.

I have a fair idea that it is the actuator that has failed, as the problem only occurs on one door. With this in mind, I tried to unlock the door in order to take the door skin off and get to the actuator. It was stuck to a point where I pulled the plastic lock in the door off the rod. I then tried using pliers to get hold of the rod, but after gradually applying firm pressure, it gave way to the point where I think it has come off.

I cannot open the door from the inside or the outside, so I have do idea how to get the door skin off.

Any advice?

Thanks

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Station Wagon
That is a very tough one. What I would do is take the opposite rear passenger door apart and see if you can familiarize yourself with how everything works - maybe you can unlatch the lock using a coat hanger if you know what to lift up. Oh and don't close the opposite door until you're satisfied that you can open it again.

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
IMG_1514m 1200.jpg

I have attached an electrical diagram of the VZ's door actuators' wiring.
Don't know if it is of any use to you.

Thinking about the problem, perhaps a good auto electrician/locksmith would have the experience and correct gear for opening the door?

macca234

Reaction score
Members Ride
'06 VZ SS 6L
The plastic tab you can pull up and down on to manually unlock the door is independent of the electrical/remote locking system I believe (the rod is just attached to an arm that moves it up or down). So unless the actuator has completely gone or you have damaged it while doing this it should still technically be able to be unlocked.

If as you say the remote sometimes unlocks this door, then just keep locking and unlocking until it opens up for you. Other than that I have no idea. If you unscrewed what can be reached on the skin and folded it back maybe you could get better access with a coat hanger or something.

Suppose you could always start hacking away at the door trim and replace it (worst case scenario)

Anyway the actuator was your problem, have replaced many of these on mine/friends cars, simple job (if you can get the door trim off) if just a little bit tight to access

jdg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
I had same issue with same door, although with pulling up on lock whilst locking/unlocking with remote I finally got the door to unlock itself. Then I pulled the door apart and pulled the lock out, cleaned it all up because it's was covered in crap, cleaned up all contacts etc, and it's been working fine ever since.

HowMat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
sounds "deadlocked" like when you press lock twice, if someone attempts to force entry it dead locks? Might need to get a code checked out? :)