Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vz commodre alloytec v6 water leakage

marko1au

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz berlina
in the last two weeks i have replaced the water pump, the front inlet seals and noticed that there was coolant coming from the rear of the motor. so this weekend i set about replacing the thermostat housing, thermostat and heater hose seals and after 5 hours it still leaks from somewhere on the rear of the motor. i can see coolant on the left hand side on the bell housing ......... what have i missed ????? where else can it leak from ...

MiKExAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4 Series II
my sv6 had the exact same leak. Are the inlet seals ur talking bout the square and round one? I don't know where its from either but I don't think it is a bad sign or anything. how many kms on ur berlina

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Check the Heater Tap. They leak and the coolant can run down the back of the motor.

marko1au

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz berlina
inlet seals replaced both and 162000 k's on the car

marko1au

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz berlina
handled the heater tap several times while on my thermostat replacement and never felt it wet at any stage ....... would of thought that if that was leaking it would leak on the drivers side not passengers ........ but please keep the ideas coming ....

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
Hi,
I replaced my thermostat assembly using the Holden repair kit. The two heater pipes into the rear of the thermostat housing may be not correctly aligned, maybe an O ring pinched? My problem was with the two quick-connect heater connectors. Both seemed to click-lock into place OK. When I had primed the water jacket, and about to start the motor I gave each quick-connect a quick tug, one of them had not seated completely. Might pay to give them a good checkout. It sounds like you cleaned the engine block where the original gasket sticks very hard and leaves a gasket residue. I used GP lacquer thinners and a razor blade to remove the last traces of the old gasket. The lacquer thinners seemed to soften the old gasket a bit more - may have been placebo effect. Also use a torque wrench, if possible, to ensure the pressed metal gasket is evenly compressed on the rear of the block.
This is a mirror view of the rear of the block. The original gasket was very hard to totally remove.

IMG_0612m1200.jpg

Last edited:

marko1au

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz berlina
i suppose what im trying to find out is if there is any other place on the rear of the engine that water can leak from .......when i removed the original thermostat housing i could not see any signs of this part leaking, but i replaced it anyway, however the coolant leakage signs that i can see on the bell housing (after cleaning ) have returned ...... so im thinking that the original problem has not been solved .... please keep the ideas coming ....... cause im all out of them ...lol

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
get a tiny adjustable mirror from supercheap and look when hot

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
alloytec rear of motor m1200.jpg

I have attached an image of the rear of the motor. It is probably the US version but close to our setup for RWD.

Do any bolts which hold the auto transmission to the engine block end up in the water jacket of the engine block and one of them is corroded through and giving the passenger side leak? Is there any coolant evident at the drain hole under the bell housing?

Is the head gasket failed, leaking without any loss of compression etc.?

Are all cylinder head bolts under the tappet cover?

For coolant to be going over the even bank side of the motor/transmission maybe it's "squirting" past the thermostat's pressed steel gasket.

In passing I have heard tell that there are welch/welsh plugs or freeze plugs under the lower inlet manifold which could leak and perhaps present coolant at the back of the motor and drip down over the bell housing.

For more discussion about the welch plugs, type in "alloytec welsh plugs" in the search box. The VZ V6 has a few threads about hard to find obscure leaks, and the welsh plug is mentioned many times. As are porous cylinder heads and their treatment.

I have not read anywhere, perhaps I missed it, but there seems to be no contributor who actually replaced them, the welsh plugs, and cured the problem. A few references are made that they are replaced by someone. Maybe they are more of a desperation replacement. My apology if I missed the submission. Would appreciate a link to the actual replacement by a member of this forum as it would help clarify if the alloytec block is fragile, porous etc in the valley area.

The best bet is to get an inspection mirror as suggested by contributor, alloytec sludge.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
there is a o ring in the pipe that joins with the housing as well check that too