Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ 06 alloytec LEO Retiming Engine

roddy_257

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
I'm after some info on resetting the timing on my vz crewman ly7 LEO Alloytec engine my timing seems to be completely out due to the stretched chains,I was after some advice on how to re-time the engine from scratch.I don't really want to put everything back before this is timed properly.

DaveNZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Ute,3.8,T5
when I did mine (05 alloytec adventra) cam chain stretch wasn't my problem. I took close pics of everything before I took the chains off but my girl dropped the laptop on the floor & I lost the lot. I sent the heads away & the cam positions moved also. I used that thread above & google as I couldn't get help locally. read the whole thing carefully as there are some major corrections in the thread. basically I used the crank keyway position shown in the pics as the starting point & then lined everything up(cam & chain marks) from there. I had to use spanners to hold the cams in the correct position(keeping the valve springs compressed) to get the chains aligned with the actuators(sprockets). once I had all the chains & tensioners on I cycled the engine by hand to ensure no issues. it runs well now. I did chains while I was in there(although when I measured them there wan't any noticeable stretch).the thermostat was a cow, i'd suggest doing it while the intake's off(if you haven't already) & strongly recommend using hi temp sealant on the housing to pipe union. I cleaned & reset the chain tensioners at my workbench & used stainless paperclips(they're the perfect size) to hold the spring tension back till the time comes to release them.. good luck mate

Last edited:

roddy_257

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
Thanks guys yea I ended up finding that particular thread about an hour after I posted,it really helped allot.Was reasonable happy with how it was turning over so I put the timing cover and valve cover back so hopefully all is well.Cheers for the advice appreciate it.