Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rookie question

HowMat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
Hey all, about to commence on my first ever home service, want to give me a quick run though, in order of what i need to do? I do have a Haynes workshop manual, so oil/fluid volumes are easily accessible,

cheers all

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
I usually do things in order of urgency.

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
Depending on when they were done and how old the car is, i would atleast look at things like fuel filter, spark plugs & cleaning the throttle body.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
My Basics:
Oil
Oil filter
Spark plugs
Air Filter
Fuel Filter
Windscreen washer liquid
MAF cleaning
Clean battery terminals if needed

And then depending of if they have been changed any time recently,
Coolant,
Brake fluid,
Throttle body clean

Anyone got anything to add?

Check and replace in needed,
Serpentine belt,
Idler pulleys

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
your owners hand book/service book should list when and what needs doing.

HowMat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
@VR38 - my last mechanic left me unhappy and I think he just signed and ticked without notes. It needs a major service, so i've gotten -

gaskets, oil filter, ajr filter, spark plugs, fuel filter, and i'm pretty sure that's all. Going to be doing it all peoples :)
Is there a "transmission fluid folter" i dont know, i vaguely remember the work shop manual mentioning a filter there somewhere?
cheers all!

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
@VR38 - my last mechanic left me unhappy and I think he just signed and ticked without notes.
cheers all!

Bloody hell, I see this often, I learn't from a young age to self service.
Even if I owned a brand new car I doubt I would pay stealership charges.

What mean, disregard what is ticked off, just start again, write it up yourself if you have too, cover all bases, including brakes and gearbox etc, then start from zero, do a 5000km service next time and so on and so on.

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
Follow the Holden Maintenance Schedule Book to do the "mandatory" inspections/renewals etc.

The Tech2 should give you past DTCs if the memory has not been wiped by a previous owner/dealer. This would be an ideal starting point for seeing past issues, and maybe what has been done during the documented/vocalised service history by the past owner/mechanics etc. The quality of repairs may become evident during these checks on the ECM BCM and TCM computers.

I would do the throttle body clean when you have the Upper Manifold removed to do the spark plugs, and visually check the ignition coils for burning, cracking of the rubber insulator, water and oil in the plug tubes etc. Check for oil in the inlet air tract between the MAF and the TB as this will indicate a possible PCV blockage, or general piston ring blow-by caused by worn rings etc. Check the PCV is working properly by checking for vacuum at the even bank clean air inlet. Should get a good suction after about 20 seconds at idle speed.

With the upper inlet manifold removed, with an inspection mirror, check the thermostat housing for seepage/leaks above/at the bell housing area at the rear of the motor. This is an ideal time to replace the thermostat housing if it is leaking or seeping coolant. (Mine seeped coolant).

Also check for any cooling fluid detritus around the heater tap on top of the odd cylinder bank engine cover.

My 2004 SV6, 100,000Kms, suspension has been trouble free, (except for a front sway bar ball joint dust cover failing) but I expect a vigorous check of all rubber bushes and shockers may turn up some wear and tear issues.

Check thickness of handbrake shoes, disk rotors and pad wear etc.

Run a tyre tread depth gauge over the road tyres to see if they are worn from cornering or adverse camber and feathering from toe in/out alignment. Maybe a hint towards future suspension problems.

Check your spare tyre - it may be stuffed if about 9 years old.

There are more cosmetic things like rattling doors which are fixed in most cases by replacing the striker on the door pillar. About $12 per door.

Check the internal hood lining is not fallen away under the front sun visors. Replacement is about $200 or so - mine is due a new one about now.

Serpentine belts are about stuffed if cracks in a rib are about 25mm apart, and most ribs have cracks in them. My belt is original, no cracks as yet, but the car has a birthday coming up so I might replacement it.

They are a nice car, enjoy!

Last edited:

HowMat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
By hood lining, did you mean under the bonnet? :O mine is slightly…

I did brakes not long ago-pads only, but a cheaper pair, I'm upgrading to Protex pads very soon, and getting myself a nice set of DBA discs :)

I've also employed the help of my old man! hahahah So he should be able to teach me visually things I can look for etc

I KNOW that the previous mechanic also mentioned I need a transmission service… I was thinking of paying for that one… And I know what I was doing that wore it so quick and have since stopped lol