Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel gauge reading

VZ SV6 13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I have bought a vz about a month ago when I go to fill my car up when the fuel light comes on and the dash says 30 km to go it only takes 55L to fill the 75L tank. There should be at least 180Km left to empty since I average about 11L for 100Km. Is there a reason it want show a more accurate reading or is there a problem some where

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
VZ fuel gauges are very poor in their accuracy and notification alarms etc.

I usually have 23 litres left when the first fuel warning comes up. I complained under warranty and Holden disowned the problem saying it was too hard to get accurate.

It annoys me when it takes over the L/100km LCD display, and happily says 80km to empty.

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
I have a VZ wagon as well, and have given up un the gauge and use it as a guide only. I aways fill it up when I have about 1/4 of a tank on the gauge. It never takes more than 46 litres. I just mostly leave it full these days.

The fuel gauges are crap.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
The wagon tank does indeed hold 75 litres. You can only access 60 litres - the remaining 15 litres you have to pay for and carry around for the life of the car because of some 'quirky' engineering design by Holden. Something about ensuring the fuel system remains pressurised etc. You can get another 4 - 5 litres into the tank if you continue to fill it beyond the first 'cut off'. Not advised if you don't intend to drive 10 or so kilometres before parking. The extra (overfull) tank can cause petrol to flood out through the charcoal filter causing not only a waste but potential fire hazard particularly if the nose (front) of the vehicle is parked so that it is lower than the rear (fuel tank).

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
Went back through my fuel economy logs. - My Largest fill was 62.5 litres in 2005 just after I bought the car. (sedan)

Benboy - you have me wondering if I could have got another 100km or so.

Group C

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
Fuel light and warning are like an idiot light, so you don't run out, its only a guide and will always read lower than whats in tank/range.. Hell Ive had 0 km to go at start of Newcastle freeway and continued to blacktown, then filled up next day 65ltrs, I tend to only run to 1/4 anyway

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Station Wagon
Mine is all over the place and I am on my second sender. You're unlikely to ever completely resolve it on a VZ Wagon from what I've seen here. The rest of the car makes up for it in my opinion. Just love it.

Group C

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
Friends have VE and same reports on low fuel warning,To me its not a fault its how Holden did them so mums are catered for or simple men

D

Don123

Fuel gauges in cars bikes etc are a guide only and can never be 100% accurate, just imagine how much money they will have to spend on a 100% accurate fuel gauge? ( it will cost more than the car) it's not like the fuel gauge on an A380 that must be accurate. :)