Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ V6 cooling system issue

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
Hi all,
I just put a new radiator in my car (VZ V6 Berlina) and after filling radiator and overflow bottle it seems to be spitting the coolant out of the overflow and leaves the radiator dry. I have felt the hoses and they are hot but empty.

At idle it goes as high as 107'C and the thermatic fans dont kick in (but work when i turn on the aircon)

After taking it for a drive to try and work the air out of the system it hovered around 98'C - 101'C and as soon as i pulled into the driveway it spewed out coolant from the overflow and again the hoses are empty.

When filling i have opened up the bleed valve and filled until it started coming out then tightened again.

Mate thinks it is an air pocket stuck behind the thermostat that is the issue but how do i clear it if its the problem?

Thanks

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
Have you turned on the "Heater" control ?

If the heater cavity is empty then the system still has air in it, then the system can vent water through to the overflow.

If your heater tap is not working, then wedge the heater tap on if necessary. Open the bleed screw on the radiator and slowly fill again, whilst idling the motor.

Your thermostat could be stuck closed?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
Yes ran the heater and heat came through alright and water is flowing well through the system.

I have just finished fixing it. turned out that i must have somehow damaged the radiator cap when i removed it. Worked before i worked on the car and was allowing water to bypass after i reinstalled it. Got a new one on there and so far it seems to be holding water properly (fingers crossed). Taking it for a long run tomorrow so will see how it performs.

Thanks heaps for your reply. Appreciate the assistance.

beau87

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz crewman
Any one know a reason the system won't bleed at all, I just changed my coolant today had the heater open car running filled it up let it run got to normal temp and boiled over filled it again, put the cap back on opened the valve and waited and waited and.... waited and nothing, what I'm I doing wrong, could me thermostat need replacing

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
If you are opening the Bleed Valve and nothing is coming out, suggest you add more coolant as it's obviously too low. When bleeding. it's best to top up the cooling system by removing the coolant cat - just in front of the Plenum Chamber.