Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Binnacle Gauges - Volt & Oil

THUNDER89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER
this has probly been on here, but can't find anything.

Bort my self a set of Genuine VZ Binnacle Gauges to go into my VZ SS Thunder.
It's got climate control and I know the pop up compartment has to be customised for them to fit,
I wanna know if a wiring harness is needed for these or is there a plug n play process with some wiring behind the climate control???
For the Oil I am thinking that it's gotta go through the fire wall, but not to sure?

Any helpful replies would be heaps helpful....cheers

A9L

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1
Apparently some have the plug tucked behind the climate module, some don't. Hopefully somebody can elaborate for you..

VZSSCHASE

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss 6l
your gauges do they come with wires being electric gauges you don't need to go through firewall they just connected it via wires I have them to auto elect wired them up as they to fiddly behind the compartment I had a diagram to show the wires were to go as well somewhere.

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
Hi Thunder89, keep us posted as to how you get on regarding hooking them up, cheers mate:beer chug:

scottysvtcommie

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz calais
Hay mate if you pull all your dash facia out, than pull the climate control unit out and behind that will be a wire harness with the plug on it to plug straight into the r8 gauges and everything will work with oil and volts, it's litterly just tied up behind the climate control unit ready to go!
however some model vz's don't seem to have the plug there ready to go, my vz Calais had to be wired up by an electrician but my vz clubsport has the harness you will just have to pull it out and have a look man, if your a lucky one and it is there yes everything will just plug in and work 100%

Cheers scott

THUNDER89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER
I'm hoping so bud
I'm putting a new head unit in this weekend, so I will have a looksie when I do that.
Did it cost much for the auto leci to wire it up?

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
My thunder ss ute and Jec's 07 ss ute didnt have the wire behind the dash

THUNDER89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER
I don't think I do either, I've got three mates with tha same ute and they never had wiring behind the c/c, so they didn't bother with the gauges.
Would it be a cxxt of a job to wire it up myself?

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
Havent done it myself yet, but from reading it up all you need to do is splice a few wires into the wires behind the dash . People on ebay sell the wiring loom already made and they come with instructions where/how to splice them in

macca234

Reaction score
Members Ride
'06 VZ SS 6L
Havent done it myself yet, but from reading it up all you need to do is splice a few wires into the wires behind the dash . People on ebay sell the wiring loom already made and they come with instructions where/how to splice them in

This. It's just a few wires into your dashboard that need to be spliced in to. Don't pay an auto sparky to do this as any one can do it in their driveway.

You can purchase the wiring harness off ebay or etc or even make a custom one (with some creativity).

You should be able to find the wiring diagram on the internet, that's how I did mine.

06 VZ MY06 L76 SS btw