Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car wont start... ECU or ??

w.pettigrove

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hi Guys,
I recently purchased a VZ 2004 Commodore, I love the thing and it looks after me but im stuck in a bit of trouble right now. Last week i was driving the car home, pulled in to get something from the servo and when i came out, I noticed the key wouldnt turn at all, after about 30minutes of trying i finally got the key to turn and the car started, not an issue and drove home. The next day i went to start the car and the key would turn to the On position and everything would switch on, but the car would not crank, I had to get to somewhere in a hurry so i pulled the starter relay and bridged the fuse and the car started, not an issue and i drove to where i needed to go. I came back to the car and was about to take the car to a mechanic (it still wouldnt start with the key) so i went to bridge the Fuse again and it would not start at all that way.

Long story short I got it towed to the mechanic, they reset the car and said they can get it started now, but it looks like it needs a new ECU ($1500!!!). My question is does it sound like the ECU is fine and just needed to be reset after maybe causing a fault from bridging the starter, and is it actually just an issue with the Key barrel (because initially it wouldnt turn at all?) or could it be the BCM?

Thankyou very much, i know its very vague!

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Station Wagon
Hi Guys,
I recently purchased a VZ 2004 Commodore, I love the thing and it looks after me but im stuck in a bit of trouble right now. Last week i was driving the car home, pulled in to get something from the servo and when i came out, I noticed the key wouldnt turn at all, after about 30minutes of trying i finally got the key to turn and the car started, not an issue and drove home. The next day i went to start the car and the key would turn to the On position and everything would switch on, but the car would not crank, I had to get to somewhere in a hurry so i pulled the starter relay and bridged the fuse and the car started, not an issue and i drove to where i needed to go. I came back to the car and was about to take the car to a mechanic (it still wouldnt start with the key) so i went to bridge the Fuse again and it would not start at all that way.

Long story short I got it towed to the mechanic, they reset the car and said they can get it started now, but it looks like it needs a new ECU ($1500!!!). My question is does it sound like the ECU is fine and just needed to be reset after maybe causing a fault from bridging the starter, and is it actually just an issue with the Key barrel (because initially it wouldnt turn at all?) or could it be the BCM?

Thankyou very much, i know its very vague!

Hi and welcome,

Have you got a spare key to try? Also did your mechanic give you the codes from the ECU? Faulty ECU not unheard of, but hopefully not.

Good luck you are in the right place here.

Blake

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
Sounds more like the key barrel to me... Easy fix, but do it before it gets stuck and you can't turn it to depress the pin for removal.

w.pettigrove

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hi and welcome,

Have you got a spare key to try? Also did your mechanic give you the codes from the ECU? Faulty ECU not unheard of, but hopefully not.

Good luck you are in the right place here.

Blake

Looks like it is the ECU as well, Mechanic is pretty sure of it, they quoted me $1345 for a replacement one but a mate works at holden and he got me one for $700 brand new, pretty stoked but cant believe the mark up! Anyway ill take it in tomorrow morning and well see how it goes, if it is the barrel as well at least the major cost is paid for.