Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

engine wont crank

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
just installed my rebuilt v6 and auto hooked up all connections and everything. tried to crank it over nothing

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
Can you get a scan tool or Tech2 on the car? It might give you a starting point.

The early VZ ECUs (2004/2005) are a problem if they are powered down for any period, the ECU sometimes will fail when repowered. Hope yours is not one of them.

A member recently gave the cars "engineering" codes 1-31, the zeros and ones listing which may help pinpoint the failure/trouble point if you can't get a scan done.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...5-vz-starting-problem-possible-ecu-issue.html

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
i hope not too, its a 2004 so it could be. i might have to buy a tech2 scan tool maybe

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
IMG_1532m.jpgVZ Schematic part 2.jpgVZ Wiring schematic.jpg

My thanks to a member who offered the schematic diagrams. ( I think they are the Oz alloytec, not too certain. Most of the connectors match up if US alloytec)
I drew them out for ease of finding my faulty ECUs feed points.
They may help when looking for voltages around the engine bay.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
Can get it to crank by bridging terminals 30 87 on relay but no start cant hear fuel pump running

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Can get it to crank by bridging terminals 30 87 on relay but no start cant hear fuel pump running
I think the VZ fuel pump doesn't run all the time, as the regulator is built into the pump assembly. It runs up to pressure and waits for the fuel to be used. Over a period of time the pressure bleeds away if the ignition is not left switched on. From memory mine held operational pressure for about 30 minutes before it started to drop back.
A fuel pressure meter is handy.

No responsibility for this following piece.
Saw some person on utube give a careful quick depression of the Schrader valve at the fuel measurement point before the injector fuel rail; it may release fuel if there is pressure behind it with the ignition off. Gloves, goggles, protective cloths etc. and face mask and fire extinguisher etc. if you try it.

This may prove some pressure is present, but it may not be correct as the injectors require the specific pressure to atomize the correct fuel load.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
Was swapping relays around and swapped engine control relay with high beam relay and heard pump come on and it started and ran straight away was driving it around all day then tonight went to start it and again dash read out said low fuel level. Faulty fuel gauge see service dealer and no cranking or starting so disconnected battery and swapped relays again finally it started so think it might be a computer problem somewhere

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
Make sure you do have a full tank, the sender unit on the fuel pump assembly is not the best and it can cause similar problems.