Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Screeching sound

sylwestrzak

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz Calais
hi all, i have a 2006 vz v6 calais. recently i have noticed a distinct screeching sound when i accelerate (its more common when turning) with some power not flat foot but not really soft either. we have changed the drive belt and that didnt rectify the problem and im not willing to keep spending money till i know what it is, i beleive the sound is coming from the engine bay, also if i back off the sound seems to go away if i dont back off it keeps screeching.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ acclaim
I'm just guessing but it could be the power steering

Group C

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
To me sounds like a power steering pump, just out of curiosity does it do it with AC on or off, or does not make difference, did old serpentine belt show signs of slipping???? all clues to whats going on but would check P/S pump, also with belt removed obviously wont make noise, but remove belt and spin pulleys by hand see if any resistance(idler,P/S,Alternator) etc

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
The belt tensioner mechanism could need lubrication if it's binding and not putting enough pressure on the belt.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss
It could be one of your pulleys, did you check them when you had the belt of? You could spray a bit of wd40 into the bearings on all your pulleys and see if it stops.