Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

3.6 vs 3.8 0-100kph times

henry-k

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ute
Hey guys,

I'm interested in hearing your 0-100 times in the 3.8 ecotec or 3.6 alloytec in vy and vz's respectively.
I am looking at buying a manual ute in one of these models but I'm undecided as yet. I hear the vy is quicker off the line due to more low end torque? Not sure how this affects things in the long run though?

Cheers,

Henry

scottysvtcommie

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz calais
Iv had both alloytec and Ecotec with mods and I have to say I think I'd still go the alloytec again over the ecotec, yes the ecotec sounds better but my alloytec is defenetlly quicker with similar mods that my ecotec had, I'd go the 190 high output alloytec tho in manual or 5 speed auto over the 175 alloytec in the 4 speed as it's much better to drive, pick up etc

With 0-100 I did film my alloytec one night and it done it under 6 seconds, would be 5. Somthing seconds but it's after 100 that I notice how much better it keeps pulling over what my old 3.8 ecotec did.

Hopefully this video works but u can see 0-100 in my alloytec

It's not standard so I can't really comment on both standard engines but I guess if your after the quicker one you won't be leaving it standard anyway.

Cheers scott

henry-k

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ute
Thanks for your replies and scott - nice dash looks so much better than stock

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
Iv had both alloytec and Ecotec with mods and I have to say I think I'd still go the alloytec again over the ecotec, yes the ecotec sounds better but my alloytec is defenetlly quicker with similar mods that my ecotec had, I'd go the 190 high output alloytec tho in manual or 5 speed auto over the 175 alloytec in the 4 speed as it's much better to drive, pick up etc

With 0-100 I did film my alloytec one night and it done it under 6 seconds, would be 5. Somthing seconds but it's after 100 that I notice how much better it keeps pulling over what my old 3.8 ecotec did.

Hopefully this video works but u can see 0-100 in my alloytec

It's not standard so I can't really comment on both standard engines but I guess if your after the quicker one you won't be leaving it standard anyway.

Cheers scott

Mind sharing your mods

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I have had a couple of ecotecs , and currenty have a VZ SV6 , and with out a doubt the VZ is a more pwerful engine , more so than the VS L67 I had and more so than my modded VX V6 , the Alloytec revs harder , and I think sounds better as well , the ecotec is a bit asthatic sounding .

Wats_in_a_name

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
In my personal experience the alloytec is better when taking off from zero at the lights. With the alloytec I generally only need about 2,000 revs to get off the line and up to speed (and beat a lot of other traffic in the process) whereas I needed to use about 2,500 revs with the ecotec to do the same thing.

Surprisingly the ecotec seemed to perform better when overtaking (going from 100 to overtake a car on the highway) and seemed to give me a better initial burst of speed than doing the same thing in an alloytec. Don't know whether anyone has an explanation for this.

macca234

Reaction score
Members Ride
'06 VZ SS 6L
I've had both and I prefer the ecotec (just to add to the confusion)

Mainly because the exhaust I had on mine sounded heaps better but also because you can find parts/mods in a heartbeat.

Got 280k out of a very poorly maintained 3.8 so I can't really fault it. (hadn't had oil changed in 50k when I got it and still ran for 3 years without missing a beat til I sold it)

scottysvtcommie

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz calais
Mind sharing your mods

Hay mate yer the mods I had done to my alloytec was-

- CPR6 manifold
- OTR air intake
- full twin exhaust with stainless hi flow cats and headers
- LSD diff with 3.46 gears
- dyno tuned

It went really well for a N/A v6, pulled a 14.2 down the 1/4 mile, and was quicker than the supercharged ecotec with a 10psi pulley, also was quicker than the standard vx ls1 :)

Cheers scott