Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloytec Engine rattling noises

Snake

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equipe
G'day,

My 2005 VZ is making heavy ticking rattling noises, pretty much the same as a diesel engine sound. The check oil light comes on when this happens, I noticed the noise starts when at idle for example at a red light, then stays for a while sometimes going away when you put revs in. The oil and filter was changed a week ago (6.5 litres) and does not seem to be losing any oil from what checking the dipstick. I also have always used Penrite/Ryco oil and filters. This only started happening after the last oil change.

Cheers guys.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
maybe the pickup is blocked or the pump is going (if the pump goes that's REALLY bad news).

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
Hi, Did you change to a heavier grade of oil last change?
I understand the small metering holes in the camshaft actuators require a light oil rather than a heavy viscosity oil.

Was there any gunk in the oil filter bowl or on the oil filter?
Were you changing the engine oil and filter every 6 months or at longer intervals?
You may have the start of a sludge buildup, I certainly hope you don't have to deal with that problem.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Correct oil is a MUST in Alloytec's. What's in it?

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
sounds like sludge build up in sump pick up i hope not for your sake

Snake

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equipe
I used a Penrite 10-40, that's what the bloke recommended for a VZ with 230000, I think it is a build up of sludge, the filter had a little bit of s*** on it. So sludge, can someone elaborate what the next step is, I also found the problem has not happened since I last posted which is some positive news.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
rip one of the rocker covers off . you'll see straight away if it has sludge

Letmeout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ wagen
Ticking rattling !

G'day,

My 2005 VZ is making heavy ticking rattling noises, pretty much the same as a diesel engine sound. The check oil light comes on when this happens, I noticed the noise starts when at idle for example at a red light, then stays for a while sometimes going away when you put revs in. The oil and filter was changed a week ago (6.5 litres) and does not seem to be losing any oil from what checking the dipstick. I also have always used Penrite/Ryco oil and filters. This only started happening after the last oil change.

Cheers guys.

G,Day Snake, What did you find, I have same noise. Letmeout.

Group C

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
wrong oil for a alloytec to thick as stated above correct oil is important 5w30
I used a Penrite 10-40, that's what the bloke recommended for a VZ with 230000, I think it is a build up of sludge, the filter had a little bit of s*** on it. So sludge, can someone elaborate what the next step is, I also found the problem has not happened since I last posted which is some positive news.