Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

UHF Problem

mitchy7

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ V6 Ute
Hey guys, pretty new here and this is my first post, so here we go.

Two weeks ago I bought a 2005 VZ V6 Ute for myself, the guy I bought it off, showed me the UHF radio he had installed into the car. It currently sits behind the center storage compartment as he got it professionally installed. He however admitted that the professional did not do it properly and now when the UHF is turned off and then the car tuned off, the headunit stays lit up and on. I was thinking I would want to get the UHF removed, as it serves me no purpose and the guy did not include the UHF antenna with the car and also the problem of not being able to turn the UHF off, instead you have to leave the UHF on and turn off the car and then everything turns off fine; eg. no headunit staying on. Just wondering how i should go about this? Im completely new to all this stuff, and I also believe the stock antenna, (Which is an automatic extending and retractable one) does not work, as it is always extended... I can include pics if anyone is interested.

Also I can see that from the install of the UHF, the back portion of the center compartment actually can wobble from side to side, which just peeves me, even though it is only noticeable if you physically try and push it, whether it be from vacuuming etc. Sorry for the lengthy post guys, and cheers.

macca234

Reaction score
Members Ride
'06 VZ SS 6L
Don't know much about them but in my experience the UHF is always on (has been that way in every truck I've driven) So the installer probably just tapped into the radios power somewhere and the UHF is turning it back on? I dunno. Get it removed

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
Can you trace where the power (feed wire) originates from. It might come directly from the positive side of the battery.If it turns off after the key is turned off and a door is opened /or a period of time elapses it sounds like its ignition linked.
Welcome aboard mate,

Cheers CONROD :smoking:

mitchy7

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ V6 Ute
Can you trace where the power (feed wire) originates from. It might come directly from the positive side of the battery.If it turns off after the key is turned off and a door is opened /or a period of time elapses it sounds like its ignition linked.
Welcome aboard mate,

Cheers CONROD :smoking:

Well, I went out and took the UHF out so now I'm left with the wires, I'm looking at getting those wires removed when I get myself a new headunit and speakers, etc. I believe the wires are connected to the headunit, in the way that macca234 has said. Nonetheless Im sure I'll find out once I get around to the job!
I took a few pics if anyones interested, cheers.

20k3xug.jpg

Here you can see where the UHF was installed and the leads. (Ive taped up the ends just for safety)

rc319s.jpg

Here I've taken a picture on the bottom of the install, basically underneath near where the jack is behind the passenger seat.

15zjzo6.jpg

Here I've just put the camera into the underbelly of the middle console at the back near the jack where I cannot see, just to see what it all looks like under there.

ezpd3b.jpg

Here I've taken a picture of the trim a the back of the middle console near the jack, showing how I can actually bend the trim out as it is not even screwed in on the bottom. (I can put my hand to where the screw is and basically I can feel the screw is touching the side of the raise but nothing is holding it there...bad install and putting back together from the UHF guy pulling all the trim off?)